Author Topic: Some questions about exclusions  (Read 2767 times)

Tyrexionibus

Some questions about exclusions
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »
Hi there,

I'm using avast! latest version in my computer.

I have some questions about exclusions.

The computer is used by several people, and I think it is misused in some way.

To solve this problem and remove any doubts regarding the issue I'm thinking to use some sort of monitoring software (read: keyloggers).

Here comes the matter: avast! detects the keylogger as viruses, and I cannot do anything about that: putting the keylogger's folder in the Exclusions list does NOT deactivate standard protection, and because of this things get messed up.

Please note that the keylogger does display the message "Your activity is monitored" everytime the system boots up, so the use is not illegal and 100% allowed.

How could I put the executable in the.. permanent exclusions list so I don't have to deactivate standard protection (which would be very risky) ?

Thank you for your support.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Some questions about exclusions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »
Is it SnapLogger?

You need to use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

Maybe you need to boot to make them effective.
The best things in life are free.

Tyrexionibus

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
The program is BPK (BlazingTools Perfect Keylogger) but I think it does the same as SnapLogger.

When I did the test, the folder was already on the Exclusions List, but a line below that list stated that "Exclusions do not affect standard protection" and so I had to deactivate standard protection permanently in order for the keylogger to work.

Soon later I went on my steps, deinstalling BPK and re-enabling standard protection 'coz it was too risky to operate without SP.

What am I doing wrong?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »
Please read the Tech's post again (there are 2 exclusion lists).