Author Topic: This forum told me session had expired, wouldn't let me logout.  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Bosco123456

This forum told me session had expired, wouldn't let me logout.
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:28:13 AM »
I just returned to this forum after several hours. I'm using IE 6.0., Windows XP Home.

I tried to use the quote feature, and also tried to post.

I kept getting a screen stating:

"An Error Has Occurred!

Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

So I tried multiple times to logout, but it wouldn't let me.
I closed the window, reopened, went back to the forum, I was still logged in.

I couldn't post here, and couldn't logout.

I deleted my Temporary Internet Files, and then opened a new window, went back to this forum, I'm still logged in.

Went into my Cookies file, found one Avast cookie, and deleted it. Still couldn't logout and couldn't post.

So I clicked on  "Delete Cookies" in IE, and now the website did not recognize me, and I was logged out at last. Logged back in, and it will (hopefully) let me post this.

Strangest of all, just went into the Cookie file - they are all there! Apparently the Cookies were not deleted physically, yet after I clicked on "Delete Cookies" in IE, and came back here, I was finally  logged out of this forum, and had to log in again.

Also, all of the emoticon images on this page - that is, the page on which  I am typing this message - have red "x"s in them, instead of the image.

If I right click on the x and click "Show Picture", I am still not getting the image.

When I do the right click, I see the Windows XP hourglass. I don't see it otherwise - i.e., currently, as I'm typing this. Only when in the right click menu mode.

Help please with any and all of these issues.

Can any of these things be connected with my new avast! version 4.8 Home Edition?

NOTE - I have now posted this message. I was able to view all images on my post on the forum page - no red "x"s.

Clicked on "Modify" which returned me  to the posting page to "Modify Message", and now all of the images are visible - no red "x"s on this page anymore - all emoticons and all other images are now visible. (!!!!????).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:39:05 AM by Bosco123456 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: This forum told me session had expired, wouldn't let me logout.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »
Maybe some glitch in the cookies/cache management of IE... I won't worry that much if it does not occur again.
When I get the message "Session verification failed" I just refresh the page or resubmit the post and it works...
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

Re: This forum told me session had expired, wouldn't let me logout.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:51:04 PM »
I just returned to this forum after several hours. I'm using IE 6.0., Windows XP Home. 

Download IE7 and get used to the additional tabs and better security.

Tabbed browsing
View multiple sites in a single browser window. Easily switch from one site to another through tabs at the top of the browser frame.

Quick Tabs
Easily select and navigate through open tabs by displaying thumbnails of them all in a single window.

Tab Groups
Tabs can be grouped and saved into logical categories, so you can open multiple tabs with a single click. A Tab Group can easily be set as the Home Page Group so the entire Tab Group opens every time Internet Explorer is launched.

Streamlined interface
A redesigned, streamlined interface maximizes the area of the screen that displays a webpage, so you see more of what you need, and less of what you don't.

Advanced printing
Internet Explorer 7 automatically scales a webpage for printing, so the entire webpage fits on your printed page. Print options also include adjustable margins, customizable page layouts, removable headers and footers, and an option to print only selected text.

Instant Search box

Web searches using your favorite search provider can now be entered into a search box within the toolbar, eliminating the clutter of separate toolbars. You can easily choose a provider from the dropdown list or add more providers.

Favorites Center
Get quick and easy access to your Favorites, Tab Groups, Browsing History, and RSS Feed subscriptions. Your Favorites Center expands when needed, and can be anchored in place for even easier access.

RSS feeds
Internet Explorer 7 automatically detects RSS feeds on sites and illuminates an icon on the toolbar. A single click on the icon allows you to preview and subscribe to the RSS feed if you want—so you're automatically notified as content is updated. Read RSS feeds directly in the browser, scan for important stories, and filter your view with search terms or site-specific categories.

Page zoom

ActiveX opt-in
Disable nearly all pre-installed ActiveX controls to prevent potentially vulnerable controls from being exposed to attack. You can easily enable or disable ActiveX controls as needed through the Information Bar and the Add-on Manager.

Security Status bar
Color-coded notifications appear next to the address bar to make you aware of website security and privacy settings. The Address Bar changes to green for websites bearing new High Assurance certificates, indicating the site owner has completed extensive identity verification checks. Phishing Filter notifications, certificate names, and the gold padlock icon also appear next to the address bar for better visibility. You can easily display certificate and privacy detail information with a single click on the Security Status bar.

Phishing Filter
This filter warns you about and helps to protect you against potential or known fraudulent websites, and blocks the sites if appropriate. This opt-in filter is updated several times per hour using the latest security information from Microsoft and several industry partners.

Cross-domain barriers
Internet Explorer 7 helps to prevent the script on webpages from interacting with content from other domains or windows. This enhanced safeguard gives you additional protection against malware by helping to prevent malicious websites from manipulating flaws in other websites or causing you to download undesired content or software.

Delete browsing history
Clean up cached pages, passwords, form data, cookies, and history, all from a single window.

Address bar protection
Every window, whether it's a pop-up or standard window, will show you an address bar, helping to block malicious sites from emulating trusted sites.

International domain name anti-spoofing
In addition to adding support for International Domain Names in URLs, Internet Explorer also notifies you when visually similar characters in the URL are not expressed in the same language—protecting you against sites that could otherwise appear as known, trustworthy sites.

URL handling security
Redesigned URL parsing ensures consistent processing and minimizes possible exploits. The new URL handler helps centralize critical data parsing and increases data consistency throughout the application.

Fix My Settings
To help protect you from browsing with unsafe settings, Internet Explorer 7 warns you with an Information Bar when current security settings may put you at risk. Within the Internet Control Panel, you will see certain critical items highlighted in red when they are unsafely configured. The Information Bar will continue to remind you as long as the settings remain unsafe. You can instantly reset Internet security settings to the "Medium-High" default level by clicking the "Fix My Settings" option in the Information Bar.

Add-ons disabled mode

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx

I hope XP Home is at SP3.