Author Topic: avast info pop-up  (Read 13175 times)

skylynx

avast info pop-up
« on: April 28, 2004, 11:28:11 PM »
 :'( I just got Avast and regret i may have to get rid of it.  That blue pop-up box is always getting in my way on my screen while I'm working.  Every day, it has to announce to me some new up-date ..  Then, when I up-date just to get rid of it, it has to pop up and tell me has up-dated.  It's driving me nuts!!! I don't see anywhere in the 'help" list that says how to get off my screen.

shgoh

Re:avast info pop-up
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 12:34:40 AM »
don't worry...you can easily remove it... ;)

all you need to do is to edit the avast.ini...which is usually in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA

under the section [iAVS]
set RunningMode - silent
      Progress - 0
      TrayIcon - 0

for help with avast.ini...refer to this thread

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 12:35:39 AM by shgoh »

skylynx

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 05:19:32 AM »
Thanks Shgoh, for replying.  I wanted to work on my website a little tonight...instead it's taking an hour to figure out how to get rid of that friken Avast Pop-up!!!Do you know any other free virus protection Avast?  Isn't AOL's protection enough?  Anyhow, I went to the program files all the way to Avast 4/DATA in my files, but can't find anything called (iAVS) or to set running mode.  Any more advice?  Thanks

shgoh

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 06:34:50 AM »
hi..if you read my earlier post carefully..

you have to locate the file avast.ini in the folder C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA

open avast.ini with notepad....locate the section [iAVS] and set

RunningMode - silent
Progress - 0
TrayIcon - 0

hope this is much more clearer to you
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 06:36:57 AM by shgoh »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 01:12:57 PM »
Do you know any other free virus protection Avast?
there is no other good free AV products avast is one and only.
shgoh is correct follow his instructions
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 12:19:25 AM »
Hahaha... MacLover2000 - I love you my friend !

There is really no such a good antivirus protection as avast! is... at least we don't ask such a questions in this forum... this made me laugh like crazy...

This forum is greatest avast! lovers forum in the world and it's really unussual to see someone ask questions like: " does anyone has some good alternative to avast! ?"

No, there is no alternative to our antivirus. And another thing... do you (skulynks) think that blue pop-up (which is very useful, though) is more important than how good is this antivirus. It's purpose is to prevent infecting from viruses and this program does that... very successfuly. Btw, it's very easy to remove pop-up window. Just follow sghoh's instruction or disable autoupdate, then you'll have to update your antivirus manually...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 01:28:56 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 12:50:02 AM »
Just edit the avast4.ini file. Details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

You can search that theard for the words 'blue panel' and change avast behavior on update. You can have automatic updates without that blue panel, no worries  ;D
The best things in life are free.

lifespan

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 04:12:03 AM »
I used to have AVG as my Anti-Virus but I have since experienced the joy that is Avast with it's automatic and usually daily updating.  I also used to ride a bicycle but now I drive a car.   If you are still pedalling your ass out on the AVG bicycle switch to Avast now.

The only complaint I have is that it never adds enough sugar to my coffee. ;D

skylynx

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 03:15:59 PM »
I have noticed a considerable Avast loyalty here, which is a good sign, I think.  I just wish Avast could go do it's job without being in my face so much.  Speaking of putting sugar in your coffee, what if you're busy at your desk and the coffee attendant comes up and asks you every few minutes if your would like more sugar in your coffee...than after he/she puts the sugar in, keeps coming back to bug you that he has excelled in his job of putting the sugar in.  The blue Avast box seems always to be sliding up right in the way of some place I need to click next to keep on with my work.  I have my concentration and speed interrupted while it takes it's good time to slide back down out of my way. ::)  

shgoh

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 03:20:36 PM »
hi skylynx..

have you follow my instructions to disable it?

skylynx

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 04:10:10 AM »
Actually,to be honest...no.  I did find the Avast 4.ini file, but after that it gets too techinical for me.  I'm afraid I'll mess up the PC... like I did last year so bad I had to buy a new tower. Incidentally, the blue box has laid off bugging me so much.... so must have heard me and got its little feelings hurt.  ;)

lifespan

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 05:10:49 AM »
The file you need to edit for Avast4 Home is called Avast4.ini.  I couldn't find the RunningMode, Progress or TrayIcon in there.  After having a poke around I've changed the below and I don't get the little blue box anymore.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Skylynx might be fairly new to computers or directory structures.  He might also be concerned it'll blow up in his face if he changes something he doesn't fully understand.  My mum is just like that.  Here's some very clear instructions that don't involve using Explorer.
    [*]START / RUN
    [*]In the Open box paste in:
          notepad C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini
    [*]Click OK (this opens avast4.ini in notepad for you to edit)
    [*]Press  CTRL+H to open the find and replace box
    [*]In the Find What box paste in:
           ResidentBalloonShown=1
    [*]In the Replace With box paste in:
            ResidentBalloonShown=0
    [*]Click Replace All button (does what it sounds like)
    [*]In the Find What box paste in:
            VRDBBalloonShown=1
    [*]In the Replace With box paste in:
            VRDBBalloonShown=0
    [*]Click Replace All button
    [*]Press the ESC button on your keyboard to close dialog
    [*]Press CTRL+S to save Avast4.ini
    [*]Click the X at the top right of notepad to close it.
    [*]Reboot the machine (yes...again).
    [*]Popups should be gone.[/list]

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2004, 06:05:29 AM »

Nice instructions, lifespan!    :D  

And welcome to the forums!    :D  

shgoh

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 07:53:01 AM »
    hi lifespan...if i'm not wrong...your instructions are to remove the avast! 'a' and 'i' icons from the system tray.. ??? ???

skylynx

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 08:00:30 AM »
    Okay, everybody, I printed 'Lifespan's" info, and your's too, Shgoh.  I'm going to try it tomorrow as it's getting around 2.am here in good ole FLA.  I'll sleep on it.