Author Topic: Need help getting into a forum I have used for the past 2 yrs  (Read 8810 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
Re: Need help getting into a forum I have used for the past 2 yrs
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 07:02:06 AM »
I'm using Firefox 3.0.5 (with NoScript, Adblock Plus, WOT, DNS Prefetch and dozens of other extensions), Avast 4.8 Home Edition (with default settings), Spywareterminator 2.3, Windows firewall and Vista Home Basic SP1. My Internet connection is DSL, 128 Kb/s. I could get to the forum almost instantly and had no problems in browsing all its pages.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »
The fact that many of us can access the forum referred to when the original poster cannot is interesting but simply tells us that another factor may be inhibiting the original poster. 

I suspect it is that factor that needs to be determined, not how many other avast users can get to the site without problems.

If the accessibility of the forum in question has changed for the original poster I have to hope we will be advised.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »
The fact that many of us can access the forum referred to when the original poster cannot is interesting but simply tells us that another factor may be inhibiting the original poster.

Yes, I must agree the fact that others can access the Forum is not at all the point here, earguijo also has been able to, but cannot.
Hopefully a response from him in reference to his HOSTS file may shed some light on the problem, which is obviously based on "his" system, as everyone else can access this site.
The likely problem will I'm sure be found through taking a check of logical steps, HOSTS file, Firewall settings, a Newly installed program which is blocking the site in question, on earguijo's machine.

ardvark

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
If I may be allowed to quote my friend ardvark ... May God Bless you!

Hi Alan...

Any time! :)

@earguijo: My prayers are with you and may the Lord heal and comfort you in your time of need and distress! :)

May God Bless you all!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:35:20 PM by ardvark »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »
Personally I would be surprised if this was a HOSTS file blocking issue, as the norm would be to block the domain and not a sub-folder or page of the domain, it will not hurt to check though.

What it might be is very strange, as I was confident that it might be some weird IE7 security setting (I don't use IE7 so I can't help in that regard), which would have meant firefox would have worked, but no.

So the next common factor is your modem/router if that has any outbound firewall ability to block sites (again no broadband/router experience, dial-up only here).

Or if you have any parental monitoring software, to block sites.

I tried a google search on the error text see if there is anything in these hits, http://www.google.com/search?q=Internet+Explorer+cannot+display+the+webpage.

Other than the above I'm at a loss as to what else to try.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

earguijo

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 03:42:02 AM »
Hello, I have Spybot - Search & Destroy and what ever my internet provider At&t provides online but that I have not downloaded.  I brought my computer to work last week and was able to access the forum from their wireless At&t but when I try it from my home it's impossible?  I know it's not my machine settings otherwise I would not have been able to access it from work with my laptop.  Puzzled.  I also contacted Sharon the web adminstrator at the website and she is sharing info with some other tech's to try and get me back on line.

Bless everyone for trying to help me out.

Respectfully,  earguijo

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 04:24:35 AM »
I'd think that this was a DNS issue, but if you can reach the root domain, it's highly unlikely.

DavidR is correct as well, if hosts was configured to load the page on an alternative address, the root domain wouldn't work either.

Maybe there is something wrong with your broadband modem or router.

I've seen weird things like this happen when a modem starts failing, and it loads many different webpages, but not all of them.

It's a longshot, but still a possibility.  Have you had any brownouts / power outages / etc recently?

If you can reach the website at home and not the forum, and reach everything at your work, you pretty much nailed it on the head.  It doesn't seem like your computer has anything to do with the problem.  Next would be your switch / router / or modem.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum