Author Topic: Windows 7 Compatablility  (Read 21702 times)

mpadams

Re: Windows 7 Compatablility
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
Okay... I tried loading Vista x64 SP1, then upgrading to x64 7 with the minimum of updates: ADNM still BSOD; haven't tried Home or Pro yet. I did want to throw this out there: on my home box, I was using the Service Pack 2 beta for Vista/2008 before upgrading to 7: maybe something in SP2 prevents this issue?

mpadams

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »
Okay... loaded Vista x64 SP1, then SP2 beta, loaded ADNM, then upgraded to 7 x64. BSOD still occurred, but this time I noticed an IRQ-based error. Went into BIOS and set to Plug-n-Play OS, then back into 7: networking quit at one point, but system did not BSOD. Trying some changes to services and DEP to see if that helps.

mpadams

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »
 :( I give up. BSOD recurred after next boot. Guess we'll have to wait for Microsoft on this one.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »
You can send me the corresponding minidumps (files from the \windows\minidump folder) for further analysis (by email - my address is in my forum profile).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

planetf1

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »
Tried updating wireless, ethernet drivers, disabling one or other, avast, avg, kapersky - in all cases tdx.sys bsod if mapped drives in use.

For all these tools to fail suggests to me it's an MS bug.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
Regarding the crashes in tdx.sys:

This is actually a known problem (a bug, really) in Windows 7 beta (build 7000).

I spoke with some people in Redmond last week and they confirmed the bug is in the tdx.sys driver itself and has already been fixed. We could confirm that with the latest internal Win7 build (7021 IIRC) the problem is indeed gone.

Now, you probably don't have access to these interim builds so I'm afraid you'll have to wait till the RC version (there aren't going to be any more public beta builds AFAIK).

Alternatively, there's a work around that you can use: uninstall the avast Network Shield, Web Shield and Internet Mail providers (i.e. all network-related stuff). This will leave avast only with the basic on-access functionality (file system scanning only) but in reality, this will suffice to block the vast majority of malware.

To do this, open Control Panel, click Programs and Features -> Avast! antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Change and untick the three boxes (Network Shield, Web Shield and Internet Mail).

Hope this helps,
Vlk

topsarge

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 02:25:36 PM »
Running Winodws 7 32 on a Duo Core intel; processor and cannot get resident shield to load. Avast scanner works fine, but I cannot load up the help. Any ideas?

mpadams

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 06:52:32 AM »
My home system running x64 7000 is finally getting the BSOD. I did grab 32-bit 7022 from the web & used one of my 32-bit keys on it: I'll have to test Avast on it and see if it BSODs.

mpadams

7022 also bad... Re: Windows 7 Compatablility
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 07:50:49 AM »
7022 32-bit also gets BSOD. Emailed ya the minidump.  :(

ardvark

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 12:13:51 PM »
Hi all...

I installed avast on my copy of Windows 7 (32 bit, within VirtualBox) and it seems to work great with no issues. :)

May God Bless all of you! :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 11:44:39 PM »
mpadams, you seem to be correct.

The bug is only fixed in W7 builds 7032 and above.

Thanks
Vlk

ixion

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »
Hi all,

I'm running Windows 7 x64 build 7000 and had the same issue. There is a hotfix provided by Microsoft to fix the TDI tdx.sys BSOD problem. Check out this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967891/en-us

The hotfix file is password protected and the password changes every few days, you will need to provide your email to Microsoft above.

NOTE: Use Internet Explorer to download the fix!! I was using Firefox 3, and the above link incorrectly detected my system as x86 instead of x64 and it would not allow me to download the x64 hotfix, but with IE, no problems.

knitterb

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

Can anyone confirm that this is fixed in version 7100 (RC)?

onlysomeone

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

Can anyone confirm that this is fixed in version 7100 (RC)?

No problems here running Avast on RC of 7...

yours
onlysomeone

Master0fPuppets

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

I'm running the RC and Avast, and no BSODs. Only problem I've had is that Windows Defender found a trojan that Avast missed.
Also seems the services for avast attempt to run as interactive, but Windows 7 does not allow that.