Author Topic: Firewall for Vista x64?  (Read 5364 times)

wile_e

Firewall for Vista x64?
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:01:18 AM »
The firewall choices seem to be very limited these days for Vista 64-bit. I hope Avast! Firewall comes out soon! :) I was previously using Comodo with Avast. It was okay, except it's Defense+ module is very intrusive and never shuts up, even after months of use. So I uninstalled Comodo.

I have a paid version of Outpost Pro Firewall but it has always been UNSTABLE and causes BSOD's. I even tried the latest version on a clean install of Vista x64 SP1, and I had BSOD's within a day. I don't know if it's a driver issue or not, but everyone on Outpost forum blames drivers for BSOD and not Outpost. Go figure, since it's the only firewall that causes BSOD on my systems. And even after I submit the logs to Agnitum, I never get response from them saying which "driver" is causing the problem.

So then I go to http://www.matousec.com to read up on current firewall results. PC Tools, and Online Armour don't work under 64-bit Vista. Online Armour actually gave some crazy story to it's users, saying it probably never won't have 64-bit. Probably because they don't want to pay Microsoft $$$ for whatever reason to get their stuff digitally signed. Kaspersky Internet Security Suite wants me to uninstall Avast due to program incompatibility. This is unacceptable, as I am going to continue to use Avast Pro on all my systems.

So that leaves me with ZoneAlarm which I'm not interested in installing, or PrivateFirewall which has no user forum and a horrible outdated GUI and has  Computer Associates PestPatrol in it, which I don't like because of their bad business practices. And JetiCo Firewall which is not what I am looking for.

What I'm looking for is:
1. an easy to use HIPS Firewall
2. low on resources,
3. doesn't cause BSOD,
4. works with RAID and my other devices, and doesn't crash whole system or bring it to it's knees.
5. Is not intrusive, but is smart and learns applications like Outpost.
6. Has an organized and well thought-out GUI, similar to Outpost.
7. Will allow my XBOX/PS3 to connect to PC Media Center, without setting up complicated rules manually. Outpost took almost TWO YEARS to fix this issue with their firewall! :(

Is this too much to ask for? I just hope Avast Firewall comes out soon, and it's so good, it blows everything away! I'm so frustrated right now trying to find a decent software firewall for my Vista x64 systems! I guess for now, I'm stuck with reinstalling Comodo without the Defense+ until Avast Firewall comes out. :(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:03:53 AM by wile_e »

onlysomeone

Re: Firewall for Vista x64?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
I personally am a fan of Vistas own firewall (its not so bad as often said...)

additionally you can set windows defender to work as HIPS...
(join the Spy Net in the settings of WinDef)

This software runs amazingly smooth together and provide a good level of security in my opinion...

Avast! + Vista Firewall + Defender with Hips rock!  ;D

yours
onlysomeone

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
I personally am a fan of Vistas own firewall (its not so bad as often said...)
It works perfectly for inbound.

How?
The best things in life are free.

onlysomeone

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »
How?

If I'm not wrong via the SpyNet-settings...

Open Windows Defender --> Extras --> Microsoft SpyNet --> Join as Premium User

Now Windows Defender informs you if any software or changes of the system done by software are performed and gives you the ability to intervent...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
Now Windows Defender informs you if any software or changes of the system done by software are performed and gives you the ability to intervent...
Ok. I'll test a little... my concerns are now on privacy...
The best things in life are free.

onlysomeone

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:08:38 PM »
Ok. I'll test a little... my concerns are now on privacy...

Its not one of the most impressive HIPS but it noticed when a program wanted to change my browser start-page for example :)

cod head

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »
I was on spynet basic but reading your thread have opted for the premium version.Thanks for the advice posted. ;)

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »
Hi...

I would agree that software support for Windows Vista x64 needs more attention. However, it might be a bit before things catch up. :-\

I, too, use Vista's firewall and it does very well, although I don't think it will match with all the items in your criteria. But if you decide you want to give it a shot, here is some information on how to configure outbound protection...

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid192_gci1247138,00.html

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/56740-configure-windows-firewall.html

Hope this helps. :)

May God Bless you! :)