Author Topic: Question(s)  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
Question(s)
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »
Recently the NIS08 subscription ran out and have switched to Avast! (Thank God) and already has SAS and MBAM and the computer is behind a router my question is should I include a 3rd party firewall such as Comodo without D+ ?
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

ardvark

Re: Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
Recently the NIS08 subscription ran out and have switched to Avast! (Thank God) and already has SAS and MBAM and the computer is behind a router my question is should I include a 3rd party firewall such as Comodo without D+ ?

Hi Justin...

Just to give you my two cents, If you are running Windows XP, I would get a realtime spyware scanner like Windows Defender or Spyware Terminator, if you don't already have one...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx (Windows Vista already comes with this.)

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Windows Defender is more user friendly but less configurable while Spyware Terminator has more options but requires a bit more know how, in my opinion. :)

In terms of a firewall, does your router already provide this function? If so but you would feel more secure with a software firewall (and want outbound protection,) then yes, Comodo or another like firewall would probably do nicely. If you choose Comodo, don't install the AV component, as you may already be aware. Perhaps this is what you meant by "without D+." :)

Hope this helps. :)

May God Bless you!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:00:19 PM by ardvark »

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »
Hello ardvark

Thanks for your two cents, this is a Windows XP computer I have been thinking about getting a real time spyware scanner but its proving a bit difficult because Im not the official owner of this computer Im the one who maintains it though...I have been looking into Spyware Terminator after reading several reviews but I would have to remove the HIPS function (To Chatty for less advanced users) and Windows Defender I have heard has lower detection capabilities but I cannot say or not because I have never used it before and yes I believe this router has a firewall function but I don't know if its enabled or not.

-Justin

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:10:24 PM »
and yes I believe this router has a firewall function but I don't know if its enabled or not.

Hi Justin...

If you still have the owner's manual for your router, they should provide a numerical address to type into your browser's address bar to get into the configuration menu of the router. If you don't, give the router's manufacturer (tech support) a call and have them give you instructions. :)

Also, Spyware Terminator's HIPS function, if I remember correctly, is disabled by default upon installation.

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:12:17 PM by ardvark »

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
Alright, thanks. Now to find the manual lol

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:20:41 PM »

Hi Justin...

You're welcome. :)

Best Regards...

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »

Just type the maker of the router and its model no. into Google and I bet you'll find the manual faster than you can say the maker's name.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »
Something not mentioned already - Norton can be a bit of a pig to fully remove and has been known to cause conflict, normally though you would see this early on but not always.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security