Author Topic: Step by step instructions in creating a MSI file  (Read 9073 times)

Gisabun

Step by step instructions in creating a MSI file
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:04:06 PM »
Hi,

I "inherited" the sys admin job a while back. I'm still a bit new to using Avast. The current MSI setup file is quite dated and I want to update it. The manual [and web site] is a bit flimsy when it comes to procedures. Is there somewhere that explain what each of the options are when creating a MSI file?

Thanks

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Step by step instructions in creating a MSI file
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
Could you explain a little bit on what exactly is outdated?  Is it your installation packages for clients?

If it's your clients, a new package can be created fairly easily.  Just open ADNM and log in.

Once you're in, go to the left pane and click, "Installation Packages."  A list of your packages will now show in the right pane. If you would like to create another, just right-click in an open area in the right pane, and click "Create Package."

You can give it a friendly name, so you know what package it is, such as "Desktop Client - Spanish Lang" or "Server Package". Then, pick "Netclient" or "Netserver" in the drop down box, and click edit.  From that point, you will be able to add or remove properties from the install package, such as skins, available plugins, or languages.  Alternatively, you could use your own Admin.ini or Tasks.xml files.  Once done, just click Ok, and you will see your new package in the list.

However, this package is only for new computers that need avast installed, because they don't have it yet.

If you want to update your computers that already have avast installed, then all you need to do is schedule an update task to do so.

If the ADNM console is outdated, Just go to add/remove programs on the server computer that is running ADNM, and click "Change / Remove" on the Avast Management server.  You can then choose to "update" the ADNM from there.

Hope this helps!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Gisabun

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »
It's for new deployments.

As I said, the manual is flimsy there. [Considering this day and age where just about every software company gives PDFs and no hard copy manuals, you'd figure Alwil {and others} would go into depth in the more common subjects.]

ADNM is up to date.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »
Yeah, I know.  I do wish there were a few more manuals.

Did my instructions help you, or were you trying to do something else?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Gisabun

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
It helped but I don't see where you can specify the various features and settings such as skins and languages.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
After clicking edit (under the words "Package Components"), it doesn't start the package maker, where it asks for a destination folder, you click next, and it gives you a list of check boxes of things that you want to include in the install package?

Gisabun

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »
Ah. Wasn't looking in the other section.
 :-\

Gisabun

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »
From another message, I did go through various settings. But if you checked a more recent post, I need to change "Database=ODBC" to "Database=SQLT". Is this possible?

THanks