Author Topic: spywareblaster or spybot?  (Read 4554 times)

rich424

spywareblaster or spybot?
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:59:35 PM »
 I was running spybot before by computer was infected with 4 trojans this past weekend. The thing I disliked was the registry pop ups. I did not understand alot of them so ended up allowing most of them.  Which one is easier to use with avast and kinda hassle free?  Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:17:13 PM by rich424 »

ardvark

Re: spyblaster or spybot?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
I was running spybot before by computer was infected with 4 trojans this past weekend. The thing I disliked was the registry pop ups. I did not understand alot of them so ended up allowing most of them.  Which one is easier to use with avast and kinda hassle free?  Thanks for looking.

Hi...

Did you mean "SpywareBlaster?"

May God Bless you! :)

rich424

Re: spywareblaster or spybot?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:16:47 PM »
yes i did .   sorry bout that.

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
Hi...

Ok, I would say that SpywareBlaster would be easier to use. All you have to do is update it once in a while. However, the scope of the software is a bit different from Spybot. The program does not run in memory, instead it loads cookie and other information into the two browsers it supports (IE and Firefox) and if an object matches the description of anything in that list, the object is blocked (not downloaded.) The program is designed to block and possible prevent already installed objects from "doing their work." It does not scan files or delete infected items. In this way, Spybot is a more comprehensive.

Hope this explanation helps. :)

Best Regards...

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »
SpywareBlaster sets things called CLSIDs into IE or Firefox Zones and they have to be Enabled just like Spybot S&D's Immunize.  

SpywareBlaster is "Set and Forget" but check for updates about every two weeks.

I do not use Spybot S&D anymore as it takes too l o n g to run and never finds anything.

Malwarebytes MBAM is very good and its definitions are updated at least once per day:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Down load it then update it then run a Quick scan and let it remove whatever it finds and reboot to let it remove the locked files it finds.

rich424

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »
I have that malwarebytes program already installed. I thought spybot and spyblaster were different kind of programs.

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
I thought spybot and spyblaster were different kind of programs.

Hi...

I would consider SpywareBlaster to be a supplement, a program that enhances the protection you already have. The goal of both is the same but the scope is different to an extent. :)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:58:12 PM by ardvark »

rich424

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »
So of course I am running Avast pro with the license. I also have the malwarebytes and superantispyware installed. What else should I need to be at full protection? This is making me crazy. :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:16 PM »
Don't go overboard on the security applications or they will take over your life keeping them up to date. SpywareBlaster is good because it is a passive means of protection, by blocking bad sites, activeX controls, BHOs etc. by updating your browsers, restricted zone sites, etc.

With what you currently have and SpywareBlaster combined with a measure of common sense should stand you in good stead.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 09:54:38 PM »
So of course I am running Avast pro with the license. I also have the malwarebytes and superantispyware installed. What else should I need to be at full protection? This is making me crazy. :P

Hi...

As I mentioned in your other thread, in addition to SpywareBlaster, I would recommend the following scanners that offer realtime protection...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx (Windows Vista already comes with this.)

http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Windows Defender is more user friendly but less configurable while Spyware Terminator has more options but requires a bit more know how, in my opinion. :)

Best Regards...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »
You can have both.
But if you need to choose, keep the passive protection of SpywareBlaster imho.
The best things in life are free.