Author Topic: ashDisp.exe does not close at shutdown  (Read 11963 times)

gr3gw

ashDisp.exe does not close at shutdown
« on: January 20, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »
For some reason ashDisp.exe does not always close at shutdown. I have to click on the End Now button to complete the shutdown process. Why would this be happening? I don't know what ashDisp.exe does, perhaps knowing its function would help.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: ashDisp.exe does not close at shutdown
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
I have no intention to discount this as an issue but I have never heard of this problem from any of the users I support on XP or Vista and I cannot recall it being reported before.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:30:41 PM »
Are you saying that the process hang the computer shutdown and wait for the user interaction? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:50:22 PM »
ashDisp.exe is responsible for all the interaction between the user and avast! resident protection.
What operating system do you use?

gr3gw

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:13:32 AM »
I think I'm on to it now. Thanks for responding Igor and Tech. Now that I know it's not a common problem I can focus on my own environment. Also, knowing ashDISP.exe is responsible for the systemtray function I've got a good idea of the source of the problem. I use a program called PS TrayFactory to manage my system tray. I suspect if ashDisp.exe is busy doing a VRDB generation then the shutdown message might not be getting through PS TrayFactory to ashDISP. I've started closing PS TrayFactory before shutting down and so far ashDisp has not failed to shutdown. It didn't happen everytime and so I need to continue the trial for a while to establish PS TrayFactory/VRDB generation as the issue.

I'll re-evaluate my VRDB settings as a well as ensuring PS TrayFactory is closed before shutdown as a solution to my irritating problem.

Just establishing that it is not a common problem has been a great help.

While writing this a funny thought occurred to me. If ashDisp is responsible for the system tray function why didn't the developers call the program ashTray? ;-)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:58:51 AM »
What I can't imagine is what is the relationship between ashdisp.exe and the VRDB generation...

gr3gw

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:21:13 AM »
Tech, I have to confess I was deducing a relationship between ashDisp and VRDB generation from the fact that VRDB indicates a generation is being undertaken by rotating the system tray icon. I have the Avast and VRDB icons combined in my system tray.

I'll continue observing the status of the system tray icon when shutting down to see if there are any other clues.

Thanks for pointing out the factual error.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 04:39:39 AM »
VRDB indicates a generation is being undertaken by rotating the system tray icon

The avast system tray icon rotating is an indication that avast is performing scanning activity.   Even with the avast tray icon and the VRDB icon combined the VRDB generation is shown by a separate animated VRDB icon during the generation.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:02:37 PM »
VRDB indicates a generation is being undertaken by rotating the system tray icon.
Not the 'a' icon. VRDB is the 'i' icon. Even merged, it appears while VRDB is being generated.

Edited: Alanrf has answered the same before. Only now I've realized.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:05:43 PM by Tech »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 01:11:17 PM »
While writing this a funny thought occurred to me. If ashDisp is responsible for the system tray function why didn't the developers call the program ashTray? ;-)

As I wrote, it's responsible for all the user-interface interration with the resident protection. So, it's not only the tray icon - but also virus warning dialogs when anything is detected, notification pop-ups (e.g. when update is available), etc.

I suspect if ashDisp.exe is busy doing a VRDB generation then the shutdown message might not be getting through PS TrayFactory to ashDISP.

Actually, ashDisp.exe is not doing the VRDB generation - it's done in ashServ.exe; however, ashDisp.exe is rotating the icon accordingly, so that's probably consistent with what you meant.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:44:30 AM »
I think I'm on to it now. Thanks for responding Igor and Tech. Now that I know it's not a common problem I can focus on my own environment. Also, knowing ashDISP.exe is responsible for the systemtray function I've got a good idea of the source of the problem. I use a program called PS TrayFactory to manage my system tray. I suspect if ashDisp.exe is busy doing a VRDB generation then the shutdown message might not be getting through PS TrayFactory to ashDISP. I've started closing PS TrayFactory before shutting down and so far ashDisp has not failed to shutdown. It didn't happen everytime and so I need to continue the trial for a while to establish PS TrayFactory/VRDB generation as the issue.

I'll re-evaluate my VRDB settings as a well as ensuring PS TrayFactory is closed before shutdown as a solution to my irritating problem.

Just establishing that it is not a common problem has been a great help.

Quality lol  ;D I must be the only person on here to get the "joke"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:46:20 AM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

gr3gw

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 02:24:06 PM »
I'm glad you liked it Patrice58. I see you are in the UK. I live in Australia but I was born and grew up in the UK. We think we must share British humour.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 01:38:26 AM »
Oh yes!  ;D
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

gr3gw

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
An update on my experience of ashDisp.exe hanging when I shutdown.

It hasn't happened for a while. AFter the discussion here and the useful information I gleaned, I checked my VRDB setting, which was 'Generate VRDB only when screen-saver is running'. Hmmmm! I don't have a screen saver. I set VRDB to 'Generate VRDB when computer is idle' and then, a short time later, I saw the spinning 'I' which hadn't been apparent before. Since that time, no more ashDISP on shutdown. I haven't gone back and checked if I can get the hangs again if I return to the prvious VRDB setting but I will shortly when I am pretty sure the problem has gone away.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 04:39:34 AM »
I have opened a new forum where everybody can discuss on pc security and antivirus related issues. Register and start posting.
www.pc-security.forummotion.com

I really don't want to be rude, but seriously, why does this have anything to do with the OP's question?

Put your website in your sig or something bro.

I have a website that no one goes to either, but this isn't the way to advertise it in my opinion.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum