Author Topic: ashDisp.exe does not close at shutdown  (Read 11998 times)

tpanc13

Re: ashDisp.exe does not close at shutdown
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 11:43:14 PM »
An update on my experience of ashDisp.exe hanging when I shutdown.

It hasn't happened for a while. After the discussion here and the useful information I gleaned, I checked my VRDB setting, which was 'Generate VRDB only when screen-saver is running'. Hmmmm! I don't have a screen saver. I set VRDB to 'Generate VRDB when computer is idle' and then, a short time later, I saw the spinning 'I' which hadn't been apparent before. Since that time, no more ashDISP on shutdown. I haven't gone back and checked if I can get the hangs again if I return to the prvious VRDB setting but I will shortly when I am pretty sure the problem has gone away.

I have exactly the same problem on my XP SP3 system. I tried the generate on idle, but I still cannot shutdown without doing a "End Now" for the hung ashdisp.exe program. Although the shutdown problem was random an occasional, it has now become fairly consistent and always. Did you ever set your VRDB setting back to screen-saver mode and see if you could reproduce the error? As far as spinning icons, the "a" icon in the tray spins for about a second when the shutdown is issued. The "i" icon in the tray does not spin during shutdown -- neither in screen-saver mode, nor in idle-mode.

tpanc13

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 06:22:59 PM »
I believe I found the problem.  :) It has to do with the deletion of a file previously put into Avast's exclusion list. When I installed Avast and did its first scan, it signaled that I had a trojan in three HOTKEY script files I created using AUTOHOTKEY's package to create hotkeys. To verify the findings I wanted to send the files to www.virustotal.com which required me to put the files in a separate file other than the Avast quarantine file so I could upload them. Thus I created a file SUSPECT and put it in Avast's Exclusion list so it wouldn't scan it again. Later I deleted the file completely, but did not remove the file from Avast's exclusion list and thus in its AVAST.INI file. After removing the file name from the Exclusion list (I did this by editing the AVAST.INI file and deleting it there), I no longer have seen the shutdown problem to-date. Have restarted the PC over 10 times to test it. Hopefully this resolves my problem forever and can help others.

gr3gw

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
Hi tpanc13,

Thanks for your input. I've resorted to using TaskMgr to kill Avast just before I shutdown. At this moment I'm traveling in the UK with a new laptop running Vista. No trouble on this one. When I get home I'll look through my avast.ini file. I do recall an event where suddenly Avast was finding a lot suspect files and wanted to quarantine or delete them.

I really appreciate reading your findings. Will let you know what I find when I get back in August.

intrepid44

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
I have opened a new forum where everybody can discuss on pc security and antivirus related issues. Register and start posting.
www.pc-security.forummotion.com

I really don't want to be rude, but seriously, why does this have anything to do with the OP's question?

Put your website in your sig or something bro.

I have a website that no one goes to either, but this isn't the way to advertise it in my opinion.
I went there and registered i think lmao

tpanc13

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
gr3gw,
>:( Here we go again. I am back to ground zero. Removing the Exclude file temporarily removed the problem. What did I do during this short period of time? Wow, not much. Of course the Avast database updated automatically. Besides that, I checked a few individual files with Avast. Nothing else with Avast itself. However, I did get hit with XP hanging on boot after all system tray items appeared and before any desktop ICONs appeared. I had to power off (hence temp files or corrupted files usually). Booted in SAFE MODE (tried to boot) and got a Trap 00000006 error (don't bother trying to figure this one out). I tried a regular boot and it worked, but I thought I'd try to correct one cause of a trap 00000006 error -- corrupt files. So, I brought up Recovery Console and did a chkdsk /r to recover from any corrupt files. It did find some and fix them. No problem with boots after that, but, of course, Avast back in its error state on shutdown. Will keep you posted. Enjoy England.

tpanc13

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
 :D I believe it is resolved now. Simply turn off automatic updating. I use the ask first option now and replay to the tray popup when new data base available. No hangups for over 2 weeks so far.