Author Topic: Windows Not Detecting Avast...  (Read 5628 times)

DOHAvast2006

Windows Not Detecting Avast...
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:30:44 PM »
I'm sure this has been a topic before, but I was unsure how to search the topic.

I have been unable to convice Windows Security Center that I have Avast Anti-Virus installed on my system.  I get the periodic warning, and the little red "you are DOOMED" shield is always at the lower right in my task bar.  This has recently become more than an annoyance, as the listings in my Event Log indicate that I have crashes associated with this.

Is there anyway to get this fixed?  Thanks.

Barr_y

Re: Windows Not Detecting Avast...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 02:07:03 PM »
Hi I have the same problem and if you look at "restarting security center at startup" you may find something there that can help you. I haven't cracked it yet though. I have always said it has only happened since the last update of Avast. I have read several others with the same problem. Perhaps somebody might find an answer to this soon.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 02:19:33 PM »
Event Log indicate that I have crashes associated with this.
Can you post the whole text of the event message?
Did you use any Windows Registry cleaner?
The best things in life are free.

DOHAvast2006

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:22:46 PM »
Uh oh... yes, I did use a registry cleaner.  jv16 PowerTools 2006.  I did not notice any changes that seemed to be associated with it though (the problem didn't start on or around a time that the cleaner was used). 

This problem began with an update to the Avast program.  This is a complete and total hard crash, requiring a manual reboot.  The only time I ever noticed it is when I am playing World Of Warcraft, but that may be because I've been on quite a bit with that lately.

Source - Security Center
Event ID - 1802
The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.
Data (in bytes) - 0000: 02 40 00 80               .@.€   

Apparently this is a common issue.  I'd really like to figure out how to get Win XP to see my Avast.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 06:39:00 PM »
 :)  Hi "DOH" :

As I have been saying in several threads here, do NOT
     worry if the unreliable Windows "Security Center" does
     NOT "see" something; just turn "OFF" that setting, if
     not the entire "Security Center" . The " I will manage/
     monitor myself" Option is there for a reason .

Barr_y

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »
Very easy to say that spiritsongs, but that doesn't solve the problem. We know you can turn it off, we also know we can monitor it ourselves. That would not cure the problem we have and that is what we want to solve. I also like to have three green lights to tell me it is OK. So please all we want is the cure not a solution we can manage ourselves.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:03:28 PM »
    Hi Barr_y :

Perhaps the info at the following site will be an incentive
      to turn it "OFF" :

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639276,00.asp .

Offline REFT

• I'm a llama! Where did that come from?
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:45 AM »
I am having this issue.  It was being detected perfectly well, but today this has stopped.  I am using Home withXP Home.  I have tried uninstalling and then re-installing but with no success.  I know that I can manage the a/v myself, but I like the reassurance givenby knwing that XPis doingthis, too.  Also, I want to be advised if definitions etc. are not up to date.  This topic has been viewed many times, but there is no answer as to how this can be fixed.  Any help gratefully received.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
1. Check the system time and date.
2. Follow this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
The best things in life are free.