Author Topic: Windows Security Center no longer detects avast  (Read 9246 times)

ms529212

Re: Windows Security Center no longer detects avast
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 07:15:39 PM »
Well technically it's MS Windows Security Center that's blind to avast, and it worked just fine with avast until the MS Windows Vista SP1 update...so how on earth do I trace that smoking gun back to anyone besides Microsoft???  :)

There is no McAfee on my system.  That was a "grasping at straws" solution to begin with.  Here is the sequence of events so newcomers don't have to read the whole thread:
1. Security Center and avast love each other very much.
2. They have a falling out after SP1.
3. Security Center now pretends that avast does not exist.
4. Avast doesn't seem to care, the little blue "a" ball spins merrily on the taskbar, as before.

One day when I'm not lazy I may try reinstalling avast.  But I have already tried the "remove previous AV" route, and there is nothing there to remove.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Windows Security Center no longer detects avast
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »
Just FYI, I just installed a Vista ultimate on a test machine that I have, and installed Avast. It worked perfectly fine.  I installed all updates, then installed SP1, and it's still working great.

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, I'm just saying that this is tried and tested on my machine, so it should work.

I'm guessing that re-installing should do the trick, but I'm still dumbfounded as to why...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum