Author Topic: SAS HAS GONE SOUTH  (Read 9416 times)

ProgrammerGuy

Re: SAS HAS GONE SOUTH
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
Just for grins and giggles this morning I timed my update of SAS and it was less than 15 minutes...  And that was on a dial-up connection of 43.2Kbs...  Then again, that was also at  around 0530 local time here in Texas...  Could be that the time of day has an impact...

When CleanTemp runs the day after an update to SAS, the file shown is SSUPDATE.EXE...  At least that's what I see...  I didn't catch where it was located though I think it was in "TEMP".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »
That SSUPDATE.EXE file as far as I'm aware is the update process itself it is in the superantispyware folder and is 156KB in size, see image.

I have ccleaner but I don't run it on a regular basis so it wouldn't be getting rid om mine and I haven't noticed any.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
Well just to satisfy my curiosity, I just did an SAS update whilst browsing and answering questions in the forums. The time take was a little over 11 minutes, which given my other activity wasn't bad on dial-up.

I also had a look for elusive temporary files, I did find a copy of ssupdate.exe in the C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp folder and that matches the other one in the superantispyware folder.

I didn't find any large files in any of the other tem folder locations, windows\temp, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 04:55:58 PM »
Well their guestimate on updates is way off 8MB would take 24-32 minutes on dial-up at 3-4 mins per MB. My updates take about 5-6 minutes, though I don't tend to time it, just start it off and continue browsing (normally the forums).

I concur, David.  That 8MB claim has got to be way off.  My Dial Up connection varies between either 26400bps or 28800bps and the SAS Updates have always been slow.  That's one of the reasons I switched from running a scan every week to just periodically.  I've never timed the Updates, but I'm gonna guess mine are about 10 minutes.  I'll time them next time.  At least now I know WHY they take so long.  I didn't know they were friggin' downloading the whole database every time.  Sheesh!  The actual Scans on my computer take about 40 minutes.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 07:24:34 PM »
I don't notice any temp files left behind, what are they called and were are they located ?
Sorry David, never bothered to check and haven't a clue.  Disk cleanup simply shows 2.8 megs temp files for SAS alone or 4-plus for both, and that's only after doing their updates, so (barring a wild coincidence of timing, of course) that's almost certainly where they're from.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
I will try and remember to check it out next time I update.

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 01:20:31 PM »
Downloaded and installed Version 4.25.1012 of SAS and it's gone south on Windows Me...  This is the latest version and is suppose to run on all flavors of Windows...  So the questin is: what defines 'all flavors of Windows'...

Numerous uninstalls and reinstalls have failed to fix the problem as initially identified in this thread...  Guess it's time to query the SAS forum and see what they have to say...

Needless to say I'm not a happy camper...

Edited:  I've contacted SAS with this issue...  Will update the thread when/if I hear something from them...

obtw; MalwareBytes is NOT usable on Windows Me... "Requirements:   Windows 2000/XP/Vista"...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:47:42 PM by ProgrammerGuy »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
ProgrammerGuy,

Hi you could download this ewido micro scanner, also very good: http://downloads.ewido.net/ewido_micro.exe (I use it from a USB stick -File size: 149.55 KB),

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
Thanks 'polonus' I'll check it out as a possible replacement for SAS on my Windows Me computer...  :)

I downloaded it, created a shortcut to it and double clicked on it...  Nothing shows up in Task Manager...  Does it run in background something like SpywareBlaster does or what?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:58:58 PM by ProgrammerGuy »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
Hi ProgrammerGuy,

You just put the icon in a folder, and then clcik that icon, you wait for it to start loading the new detection files, and then scan with it, a shortcut to it does not work, because the icon is that executable program, it is rather small, that is why it is called micro...

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

hines232

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:39 AM »
Downloaded and installed Version 4.25.1012 of SAS and it's gone south on Windows Me...  This is the latest version and is suppose to run on all flavors of Windows...  So the questin is: what defines 'all flavors of Windows'...

Numerous uninstalls and reinstalls have failed to fix the problem as initially identified in this thread...  Guess it's time to query the SAS forum and see what they have to say...

Needless to say I'm not a happy camper...

Edited:  I've contacted SAS with this issue...  Will update the thread when/if I hear something from them...

obtw; MalwareBytes is NOT usable on Windows Me... "Requirements:   Windows 2000/XP/Vista"...

I started the thread "programmergru" Same OS as you. SAS seems to take for ever to START, RUN, and to LOG OUT OF, but it dose run. MY start to finish is about half an hour. It just lately got slower. see the response I got from them in first part of this thread.

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 01:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the input 'hines232'...  You get a lot farther than I seem to...

Here's the thread at SAS:

Feb 03 2009 (Tue)
4:40:01 AM PST

Wrote:

I downloaded and installed Version 4.25.1012... I cannot get SAS to run except from "Repair"... When it does run it wants to update the definitions... After the initial download SAS stops responding and tends to lock up my computer. I've tried running RUNSAS.EXE however, I get two errors: "Expects a newer version of Windows" and "A device attached to the system is not functioning"... I'm beginning to think that even though you indicated that SAS is good for 'all' versions of Windows; it isn't... Multiple uninstalls and reinstalls have failed to correct the problem...    
     Feb 03 2009 (Tue)
9:56:01 AM PST

SUPERAntiSpyware.com Replied:

Hi John

SUPERAntiSpyware won't start up at all?  The main program window never shows up, or does it lock up or crash?    
     Feb 03 2009 (Tue)
1:27:05 PM PST

Wrote:

Sorry, I guess I should have said that it won't start at all.... The 'splash screen' never shows up and cannot open it from the icon the system tray...    
     Feb 03 2009 (Tue)
3:37:06 PM PST

SUPERAntiSpyware.com Replied:

I checked around with my fellow support gurus, and it looks as though we have had a report or two of this happening with the older versions of Windows.  For now, I would revert to the previous release, it sounds like our developers will have to track down the problem and do another release in the next week or so.

Here's a link to the previous version:
http://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SUPERAntiSpyware.4.24.1004.exe

SUPERAntiSpyware Customer Service

For now I'm going to do as they suggest and go back to an earlier version and NOT update anything but the definition files...  Let's see if they find, and fix, the problem  :(    

hines232

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 02:00:02 AM »
AOK My friend, I have the latest ver. and it is very  SLLLLLLLLow.