Author Topic: Ad-Aware AE (Anniversary Edition)  (Read 29453 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ad-Aware AE (Anniversary Edition)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
The problem resolves round the fact that resident Anti-virus scanners install low level device drivers, these are what hook/intercept your call to execute a program, etc. so that your AV can first scan it.

Now disabling a resident AV just disables its services, etc. but it doesn't stop these low level device drivers from being loaded and it is these which can conflict as driver a battles with driver b for control over an intercept. This can on occasion cause a conflict, just how serious this conflict might be is the variable, worst case it could lock the system.

So this is why we don't recommend having two resident AVs installed even if one is disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »
I see... Interesting!  :)

But SUPERAntiSpyware's background running process won't interfere with Avast's protection & processes, right?  :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »
They are different types of function anti-spyware V anti-virus, although the edges between both are blurred and there may be some overlap, we don't tend to see a problem between resident anti-spyware and resident anti-spyware.

Superantispyware free isn't resident in the same way even with a running process to enable you to do an on-demand scan (right click) on a specific file, it hasn't got low level drivers loaded to hook files so it might scan a file before opening like a resident AV. Even with the Pro version of SAS (which I have) doesn't seem to have any issues in combination with avast, nor for the most part any other resident anti-spyware that we might suggest in the forums.

The same is true of not having two resident anti-spyware applications as they too might conflict between each other.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »
So... Should I install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SpyBot's S&D to accompany Avast and SAS? Or are Avast & SAS enough?
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »
I would say take a look at my signature below my posts (SAS and MBAM).

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
OK, I'll get MBAM too.  ;) But without S&D the only resident protection that I'll have will be Avast's. Do you think that's enough?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 10:08:52 PM »
There is nothing to stop you continuing to use S&D for the limited resident protection it won't clash with avast.

I have the paid Pro version of SAS (one off small payment) which has resident protection, so don't need another resident anti-spyware.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
Do you use MBAM a lot? Regularly? What about SAS on-demand? I ran SAS quick and complete scan today and it says I have no malware. I'll only install MBAM now, I won't install S&D. I'll have just Avast for resident protection. Avast is a really cool program!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 12:02:44 AM »
I run weekly scans for avast, SAS and MBAM as part of my regular weekly system maintenance, before running SAS and MBAM I download the latest updates.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 12:35:49 AM »
Aha. Well, I run Avast at least 2 times a day.  :P

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 12:53:29 AM »
Hi Bellzemos,

And it is also advisable to do a monthly full scan with programs like ad-aware or MBAM and SAS.
At least they themselves advise so, so who am I to disagree?
In the mean time a weekly quick scan may do, or you must suspect a recent infestation,

pozdravi,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Diazruanova

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 01:42:29 AM »
The problem resolves round the fact that resident Anti-virus scanners install low level device drivers, these are what hook/intercept your call to execute a program, etc. so that your AV can first scan it.

Now disabling a resident AV just disables its services, etc. but it doesn't stop these low level device drivers from being loaded and it is these which can conflict as driver a battles with driver b for control over an intercept. This can on occasion cause a conflict, just how serious this conflict might be is the variable, worst case it could lock the system.

So this is why we don't recommend having two resident AVs installed even if one is disabled.

Hi David,

I have avast running as resident but also installed avira for on demand, but after reading your post here, I looked for some running avira drivers, and yes, there are three of them that boot along Windows (2000 Pro). Now I have had this configuration installed for more than one month and apparently there are no conflicts, or at least none that I am aware of.
Do you suggest un-installing avira? (it couldn´t be the other way :)) or can I continue tempting my luck with both of them installed? 8)

Thanks a lot

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 02:01:52 AM »
That is the problem, you never know when they are likely to bite you in the a** and why we don't recommend it.

No way would I recommend uninstalling avast as IMHO it is better, whilst avira has relatively good detections, so to has avast, but avast has for more functionality that you don't get in avira, web shield, network shield, boot-time scanning, to name just those from the top of my head.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »
Hi Bellzemos,

And it is also advisable to do a monthly full scan with programs like ad-aware or MBAM and SAS.
At least they themselves advise so, so who am I to disagree?
In the mean time a weekly quick scan may do, or you must suspect a recent infestation,

pozdravi,

polonus

Yeah, I see. I usually did a full-scan with Ad-Aware weekly, now I'm going to continue that tradition with SAS & MBAM.

Pozdrav!  :)

Diazruanova

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 02:35:47 AM »
That is the problem, you never know when they are likely to bite you in the a** and why we don't recommend it.

No way would I recommend uninstalling avast as IMHO it is better, whilst avira has relatively good detections, so to has avast, but avast has for more functionality that you don't get in avira, web shield, network shield, boot-time scanning, to name just those from the top of my head.

Thanks David,

In fact I already UN-installed avira, mainly for the reasons you are explaining here and that is why, I installed avast as my resident AV instead of avira in the first place  ;)

Greetings from Mexico