Author Topic: Ad-Aware AE (Anniversary Edition)  (Read 29454 times)

coppertrail

Re: Ad-Aware AE (Anniversary Edition)
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »
Who's to say that 5 Antimalware apps are too much? Especially when they're not running at startup and none of them are running resident scanning. They're not hurting performance or anything else being there.

I've read articles by experts that recommend having at least 3-4 different Antimalware apps. The reason being is one might be able to remove something the others don't.

As far as keeping them updated, it's not a hassle as I don't update definitons every day.

If anything, I'd say that's not too much of a good thing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
How do you know they aren't running at startup, just because you can't see anything loaded in the task manager doesn't mean that they don't load drivers at startup (as most resident security applications do to hook files for scanning) as they aren't displayed in the task manager.

This is the same as recommendation as not having two resident AVs installed because of the low level drivers that are still loaded even when the resident function is disabled.

Your system your choice, you haven't said what the AS (resident) application are that you have so I can't be any more detailed. It isn't my job to try to change your mind so I won't waste your time or mine trying.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mevcit

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
Calm down guys. :)

I use G DATA IS 2009 and Windows Defender for active protection; and use Avira Premium (no start-up item, no resident protection, and the remaining service is set as manual), A-Squared Free (the service is set as manual), Malwarebytes Antimalware, Spybot S&D for on-demand scans. I run the update processes only when I do a scan, and scan my computer approximately once a month. For immunization I have Spyware Blaster. I think there has been no conflict on my system so far. ;D

But David is also right, I think there are not any problems on my combination. If there is/are, say please. :)

By the way, I consider that using Ad-Aware is just waste of time and resources. ;D