Author Topic: Ad-Aware AE (Anniversary Edition)  (Read 29537 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ad-Aware AE (Anniversary Edition)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

prettychinita

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 07:36:38 PM »
Hi there! Just like Bellzemos case..
I have recently upgraded my Ad-Aware 2008 to their new application Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition but aside from that I also have Avast! Free Home Edition 4.8.1296 as my Anti-Virus, is that ok? I mean one application is an anti-spyware and the other one's actually an anti-virus so it should not have any conflict right?

Im currently using the following programs as my line of defense:

Anti-Virus: Avast! Free Home Edition 4.8.1296 with updated virus database

Anti-Spyware Porgram: Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition (with the Real Live Protection??), MalwareBytes
                               AntiMalware (MBAM), Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster (does this contradict with
                               Ad-Aware or not?), Trend Micro HiJackThis, CWShredder

**SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for and clean spyware--it prevents it from being installed in the first place. SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs. It can also block spyware/tracking cookies in IE, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, and many other browsers, and restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites. ---> Is this considered as real-time protection as well? Should I then just shift to SuperAntiSpyware? I mean should I be uninstalling any of my current anti-spyware as mentioned above?

ardvark

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
**SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for and clean spyware--it prevents it from being installed in the first place. SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs. It can also block spyware/tracking cookies in IE, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, and many other browsers, and restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites. ---> Is this considered as real-time protection as well? Should I then just shift to SuperAntiSpyware? I mean should I be uninstalling any of my current anti-spyware as mentioned above?

Hi...

No, definately keep SpywareBlaster! :)

The program is "passive" and does not load or run in memory. It doesn't conflict with avast and shouldn't with any other application. I have installed SpywareBlaster on many systems and have never seen a conflict. ;)

In my opinion, you have a pretty good "line of defense." :)

May God Bless you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:42 PM »
I have recently upgraded my Ad-Aware 2008 to their new application Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition but aside from that I also have Avast! Free Home Edition 4.8.1296 as my Anti-Virus, is that ok? I mean one application is an anti-spyware and the other one's actually an anti-virus so it should not have any conflict right?

I don't know what functionality the latest adaware has - If it has a resident AV then yes it can conflict with avast even if disabled as they load low level drivers to intercept files so they are scanned before being run, etc.

Personally with the other applications you have AdAware is surplus to requirements not to mention it is a second resident anti-spyware (windows defender), which like AVs you should avoid having more than one resident anti-spyware...

SpywareBlaster conflicts with nothing it is a passive means of protection, it isn't running, so it isn't real-time (resident).

I have to declare that I'm no fan of AdAware as it really isn't keeping pace with other anti-spyware applications. However I haven't tried (and have no intention) the new version.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:53:12 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »
Don't bother with Ad-Aware as it is now a second rate application.

ardvark

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 08:36:25 PM »
Don't bother with Ad-Aware as it is now a second rate application.

Hi...

Why is this? What is it not doing? It used to be a good program. ???

Best Regards...

prettychinita

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »
Hi David! Thanks for the reply! I just have a few questions though..

Personally with the other applications you have AdAware is surplus to requirements not to mention it is a second resident anti-spyware (windows defender), which like AVs you should avoid having more than one resident anti-spyware...
---> so does that mean I would have to delete Ad-Aware since I already have a resident (built-in) anti-spyware which is Windows Defender? Is MBAM enough? Or should I then install SuperAntiSypware in exchange of Ad-Aware or no need to??

**And btw, I was thinking of installing a firewall I've been reading through some of the posts in the forum and I've read that there's been a problem with ZoneAlarm and Avast! being used at the same time? Is Comodo a better substitute then? Or it's not really required/necessary to download a firewall app anymore?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:12:25 PM by prettychinita »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 09:08:56 PM »
<snip>
Why is this? What is it not doing? It used to be a good program. ???

That's right, a long time ago it was a good program, it simply hasn't kept pace.

What's it not doing, detecting anything!
Previously the only thing it ever reported on my system was cookies, which on a scale of importance is a 1 out of 10.

Now just giving away resident protection in the free Anniversary Edition to my opinion doesn't change anything. I remember another date orientated product windows Millennium Edition and we all know just how good that was ;D

prettychinita

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »

Hi...

No, definately keep SpywareBlaster! :)

The program is "passive" and does not load or run in memory. It doesn't conflict with avast and shouldn't with any other application. I have installed SpywareBlaster on many systems and have never seen a conflict. ;)

In my opinion, you have a pretty good "line of defense." :)

May God Bless you!

thanks  :)

ardvark

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2009, 09:21:39 PM »
That's right, a long time ago it was a good program, it simply hasn't kept pace.

What's it not doing, detecting anything!
Previously the only thing it ever reported on my system was cookies, which on a scale of importance is a 1 out of 10.

Now just giving away resident protection in the free Anniversary Edition to my opinion doesn't change anything. I remember another date orientated product windows Millennium Edition and we all know just how good that was ;D

Hi David...

Sounds like I struck a raw nerve. ;D

Thanks for your explanation. :)

Best Regards...

ardvark

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »
thanks  :)

Hi...

You're welcome, glad I could help. :)

Best Regards...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »
Hi David! Thanks for the reply! I just have a few questions though..
<snip>
---> so does that mean I would have to delete Ad-Aware since I already have a resident (built-in) anti-spyware which is Windows Defender? Is MBAM enough? Or should I then install SuperAntiSypware in exchange of Ad-Aware or no need to??

You need only look at my signature below my posts to get my answer ;D

I hate it when that swear word 'delete' is used, it has so many negative connotations when what you really mean is uninstall ;D so yes to uninstalling adaware.

**And btw, I was thinking of installing a firewall I've been reading through some of the posts in the forum and I've read that there's been a problem with ZoneAlarm and Avast! being used at the same time? Is Comodo a better substitute then? Or it's not really required/necessary to download a firewall app anymore?

I don't use any of those firewalls and I believe the later zone alarm is bloated with trial functions of the pro version in the hope you will buy it. It also restricts outbound protection in the free version again I guess so you will buy the pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.

@ ardvark
Not a raw nerve, I just feel disappointed that many people rely on a program that really isn't up to the job. When I start to see adaware being recommended on certain malware removal sites as a tool to detect and clean malware then perhaps that would change.

I used to use AdAware and Spybot S&D for a long time when there were effectively best of breed but those days are gone. So I move on and leave the also rans behind, sorry if this is harsh, but for me that is how I see it
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:31:38 PM by DavidR »

prettychinita

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009, 12:06:42 AM »
You need only look at my signature below my posts to get my answer ;D

I hate it when that swear word 'delete' is used, it has so many negative connotations when what you really mean is uninstall ;D so yes to uninstalling adaware.

I don't use any of those firewalls and I believe the later zone alarm is bloated with trial functions of the pro version in the hope you will buy it. It also restricts outbound protection in the free version again I guess so you will buy the pro version.

See A Forum discussion on free firewalls http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30808.0
See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.

@ ardvark
Not a raw nerve, I just feel disappointed that many people rely on a program that really isn't up to the job. When I start to see adaware being recommended on certain malware removal sites as a tool to detect and clean malware then perhaps that would change.

I used to use AdAware and Spybot S&D for a long time when there were effectively best of breed but those days are gone. So I move on and leave the also rans behind, sorry if this is harsh, but for me that is how I see it

I just wanted to ask you said on your previous posts that SuperAntiSpyware is only on-demand.. But I just read on their website that they provide Real-Time Protection as well:

* Real-Time Blocking of threats! Prevent potentially harmful software from installing or re-installing!
    * First Chance Prevention examines over 50 critical points of your system each time your system starts up and shuts down to eliminate threats before they have a chance to infect and infiltrate your system.
    * Schedule either Quick, Complete or Custom Scans Daily or Weekly to ensure your computer is free from harmful software.

"Why is SUPERAntiSpyware.exe process active all the time, if the Free editions doesn't have the resident (constant) protection?" --> By Bellzemos @ forums.superantispyware.com
Disable or remove it in "start_up"
but you'll get a better protection with the SAS Pro realtime_protection_shield

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2009, 12:26:20 AM »
Well once again if you look at my signature you will see I have SAS Pro, the paid version with resident protection.

The reason there is a service running in the background of what is an on-demand scan is that if you right click on a file you can scan it then and there with SAS. Rather than have to do a complete scan of your system.

As has been said by your reply, you can disable it if you wish, but I believe that the context menu scan won't be available to you.

ardvark

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2009, 07:15:01 AM »
@ ardvark

Hi David...

I'm sorry to hear this about Ad-Aware concerning its effectiveness. :(

I will be curious to see how the Anniversary Edition stacks up...

Best Regards...