Author Topic: Avast and sending photos from my docs.  (Read 8312 times)

wally2

Avast and sending photos from my docs.
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:33:14 AM »
I have xp and use outlook express for my email.
Used to be I could go into "my documents" click "send to mail recip." on a photo I wanted to forward  to someone and my outlook express address book would pop up with all my contacts for sending ,  easy enough.
Now when I click on  a photo and  "send to mail recip" ,  an  "avast home  ms outlook/exchange plug in"  window pops up and I dunno what that is, why it's taken over and how to get it back to my outlook express address book option.  There are no contacts in this avast window .
Any ideas, anyone?

wally2

Re: Avast and sending photos from my docs.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:22 PM »
oh, and my outlook express is 6 version.  I've checked my account options, etc. in OE 6  but I can't see where I can get it to overide this avast problem wanting to take over sending out photos etc. from my files?
Cant find the solution in my avast program either.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:20:22 PM »
It shouldn't be "taking over" your preference for your default mail program.

The avast splash screen is just telling you that the plugin is functioning.  Outlook express should be loading after that, just as it did before you installed avast.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:29:50 AM »
oh, and my outlook express is 6 version.  I've checked my account options, etc. in OE 6  but I can't see where I can get it to overide this avast problem wanting to take over sending out photos etc. from my files?

avast should have zero effect in this regard, I have OE6 and did a little exercise to prove no involvement by avast, see image 1 & 2.

So to my mind there is something possible in your global settings that thinks MS Outlook is your default email client.

So do you have MS Outlook (not express) ?
If not terminate the Outlook/Express provider in avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wally2

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:19:50 AM »
It shouldn't be "taking over" your preference for your default mail program.

The avast splash screen is just telling you that the plugin is functioning.  Outlook express should be loading after that, just as it did before you installed avast.

Outlook express doesn't load after that, wish it would. It USED to be my only option.  I've been with Avast for quite some time, can't understand why it's doing this all of a sudden?
I have xp and use outlook express for my email.

avast should have zero effect in this regard, I have OE6 and did a little exercise to prove no involvement by avast, see image 1 & 2.

So to my mind there is something possible in your global settings that thinks MS Outlook is your default email client.

So do you have MS Outlook (not express) ?
If not terminate the Outlook/Express provider in avast.
     I use outlook express 6 .

Thanks for your help guys, hope I can get this fixed soon.  As it stands now, I have to start out in my outlook express and  insert file attachments from there .
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:21:26 AM by wally2 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:49:08 AM »
You're welcome, don't forget to terminate the Outlook/Exchange provider.

Let us know how you get on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:19 AM »

No, not at all.  The splash screen is shown because Outlook Express is not being invoked.  Terminating the Outlook/Exchange provider will make no difference.

What are you seeing?

You are not seeing an avast plug-in taking over.  The splash screen you are seeing is the avast plug-in for Microsoft Outlook being loaded by Outlook.  It is Microsoft Outlook on your system that has taken over the job of being the program invoked by the "Send to mail recipient".

Why has this happened?

Not because you installed avast for sure.  I believe this happened because you have Microsoft Outlook installed on your system (perhaps as part of Microsoft Office) and this month there was an update to Microsoft Outlook installed by the monthly Windows update.  When there is an update to Microsoft Outlook the Windows update mechanism has a really annoying habit of again making Microsoft Outlook the default email client on your system.  So Microsoft Outlook has jumped in and taken over even though you do not want it to.  This certainly happened on my system and I had to correct it.

How to fix it?

I believe that if you go to Windows Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab

you will find that the E-mail program is set to "Microsoft Office Outlook".  In the drop down list please select "Outlook Express"  click on "Apply" and "OK".  Then restart your system.  I hope you will find that "Send to mail recipient" works again as you want it to. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:00:55 AM by alanrf »

wally2

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »

No, not at all.  The splash screen is shown because Outlook Express is not being invoked.  Terminating the Outlook/Exchange provider will make no difference.

What are you seeing?

You are not seeing an avast plug-in taking over.  The splash screen you are seeing is the avast plug-in for Microsoft Outlook being loaded by Outlook.  It is Microsoft Outlook on your system that has taken over the job of being the program invoked by the "Send to mail recipient".

Why has this happened?

Not because you installed avast for sure.  I believe this happened because you have Microsoft Outlook installed on your system (perhaps as part of Microsoft Office) and this month there was an update to Microsoft Outlook installed by the monthly Windows update.  When there is an update to Microsoft Outlook the Windows update mechanism has a really annoying habit of again making Microsoft Outlook the default email client on your system.  So Microsoft Outlook has jumped in and taken over even though you do not want it to.  This certainly happened on my system and I had to correct it.

How to fix it?

I believe that if you go to Windows Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab

you will find that the E-mail program is set to "Microsoft Office Outlook".  In the drop down list please select "Outlook Express"  click on "Apply" and "OK".  Then restart your system.  I hope you will find that "Send to mail recipient" works again as you want it to. 
  YES, that's the ticket-I changed it and now all is back to normal. alanrf,  Thank you  so much !
Thank you all for  your input-this forum is a HUGE help !

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:12:24 PM »
Didn't even think about the system not bringing up the wrong default mail program.

Shouldn't it have brought up the Outlook setup wizard at least? (if he hasn't used it already)

For an off-topic question, why are you using outlook express instead of Outlook?  The full version is quite superior in my opinion.

Also, just for my knowledge, for users of outlook express, the Outlook/Exchange plugin does not apply to outlook express?

I'm getting confused...  ???
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 07:38:05 PM »
Outlook/Exchange is for MS Outlook only (not express which is covered by the Internet mail provider) it is a specific plug-in for that email client, so effectively it runs inside MS Outlook.

Long ago I too had MS Outlook as a part of MS Orifice (office 97) and I didn't like it at all I just used OE and haven't used any other since. My email needs are simple so I didn't need the bells and whistles of MS Outlook.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 02:19:03 AM »
Gotcha.  Thanks for the info.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 02:22:43 AM »
No problem.

That's me for the night, a little after 1:20am here.