Author Topic: Properly decommissioning ADNM consoles  (Read 5144 times)

Offline 10nico

• I'm a gnu!
Properly decommissioning ADNM consoles
« on: January 21, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
Hi all, it's been a long time since I've posted here (mostly because we haven't had problems! :-) ) but now I need to know the right way to do the following:

We currently have about 400 pc+servers managed by 6 ADNM servers , one is the "father" (in the central site) and 5 are "children" (in the remote sites).

Each console has it's fair amount of clients managed, but now we need to remove the 5 "children" ADNM and have all the client/servers managed under the remaining "father" ADNM.

What's giving me to worry is the proper procedure to "make the clients" change their "reference ADNM" to make it point to the "father ADNM".
Or, to better put it, I'm worried that if I abruptly remove the "children ADNMs" the clients won't be able to find the remaining ADNM and will remain "orphaned" and unable to update and to be managed.

Thank you for any suggestion you can give! :-)

Goodbye
Live long and prosper

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
Re: Properly decommissioning ADNM consoles
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »
You can use aswChAms.exe utility, which is part of the managed avast! installation, to change de AMS Server reference.

aswChAms <IP of New AMS>

or in the "children" Computer Catalog Properties -> Communications change the IP of the AMS address to the new AMS "father". When clients appear in the new AMS "father", shutdown the  "children"

Offline 10nico

• I'm a gnu!
Re: Properly decommissioning ADNM consoles
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:32:29 AM »
Thank you, I'll go and try moving some clients, some with the manual method with aswChAms and some from the ADNM and see what happens ;-)

I'll keep you updated.

Goodbye
Live long and prosper