Author Topic: POP3 Mail Proxy - Secure?  (Read 3882 times)

unhuman

POP3 Mail Proxy - Secure?
« on: April 29, 2004, 04:29:41 AM »
Is there a way to enable a SSL connection to a POP3 server.  I am currently torn between having the virus protection and also having the security of having my email password not passed over the internet.

It would be great if the mail proxy could have a setting to be secure - is there one?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:POP3 Mail Proxy - Secure?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 05:14:49 AM »
Is there a way to enable a SSL connection to a POP3 server.  I am currently torn between having the virus protection and also having the security of having my email password not passed over the internet.

It would be great if the mail proxy could have a setting to be secure - is there one?

I think not right now... SSL connection is not available yet but I listen it will be in a near future  8)
The best things in life are free.

unhuman

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 03:54:34 PM »
Sweet!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 05:44:38 PM »
I listen it will be in a near future

I wouldn't be quite sure on this... I mean, the only way it makes sense is that

mailclient --> avast      is NOT on ssl
avast --> mailserver     IS on ssl.

So in your mail client, you'd have SSL turned off anyway (mailclient --> mailserver on ssl just doesn't make any sense as by definition, avast would not see the correct data [this is why you're encrypting them - to prevent anyone en route from inspecting them]).

To do the ssl thing between avast and the mailserver, you can use a tool such as  Stunnel (www.stunnel.org). Try searching this forum for more info (it has been already discussed for a couple of times as far as I remember...).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.