Author Topic: Time out on advisory pop up  (Read 3285 times)

gprzybyl

Time out on advisory pop up
« on: April 28, 2004, 05:02:40 PM »
   A user here has a laptop with Avast 4 Pro installed on it.  When the updates happen he gets a blue pop advisory stating such and then it goes away on it's own after a period of time.  However if he is not currently connected to the Internet he gets the red pop up advisory warning that it could not update and then it stays there until it is clicked upon.  What he would prefer is that, like the good blue advisory pop up, the red one disappears on it's own after a brief period as well without being clicked on.  Is there a way to make the red pop advisory disappear on it's own after a period of time like the blue one does now?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Time out on advisory pop up
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 05:08:44 PM »
Unfortunately not.

But anyway, he shoulnd't be getting the red pop-ups in the first place! These are in fact error messages - and should not be overlooked. Unless the user has checked the 'My Computer is Always Connected to the Interner' box in the program Settings, there should be a mechanism for detecting whether the machine is online or not...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gprzybyl

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 05:35:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply Vlk, follow up question though if I may.  By unchecking the "Permanently Connected to the Internet" box would that disable the push update feature of Avast 4 Pro?  Would it have any effect on getting the updates at all or will it just disable the error message when the internet connection is not present?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 05:41:26 PM by gprzybyl »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 05:06:36 AM »
By unchecking the "Permanently Connected to the Internet" box would that disable the push update feature of Avast 4 Pro?

I think not. They are independent update features. You can have a dial-up and the push update feature working togheter.

Would it have any effect on getting the updates at all or will it just disable the error message when the internet connection is not present?

For the first question: you will set the system check for a live connection each 40 seconds if you did not check that option. When a connection is detected, system will wait 4 hours to next check.

The second: no, it won't disable the message.
You must change your avast4.ini file settings. See: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647;start=0

On the AAVM section:
SuppressUpdateErrorInfo=1 will suppress update error message (not the update itself).
SuppressUpdatedInfo=1 Suppress the small blue info window in the notification area of your desktop on updating.
The best things in life are free.