Author Topic: something is trying to enter my address book!!!  (Read 3443 times)

alimoso

something is trying to enter my address book!!!
« on: April 29, 2004, 02:10:38 PM »
When I start up my computer and also when I try to read something with the notepad, a message comes up saying that something is trying to open my address book in outlook.
It also says that it could be a virus.
But there is a window that apears for about a second with something about Avast, outlook and plug-in.
I don't know what is going on.
So I always deny the access.

It also means that I can't use the notepad anymore :-\

Is this normal?
Is it Avast? Is it a virus? Can anybody help me? :-[

Thank you in advance :)

sedina

Re:something is trying to enter my address book!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 03:02:40 PM »
Hi, heuristic module in Outlook/Exchange provider works with address book to be able determine count of suspicious receipients (some percent from your address book - you can change it in Heuristic Advanced tab in Outlook/Exchange Provider). pavels

alimoso

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 03:18:47 PM »
Hi, heuristic module in Outlook/Exchange provider works with address book to be able determine count of suspicious receipients (some percent from your address book - you can change it in Heuristic Advanced tab in Outlook/Exchange Provider). pavels
So you think it's wise to let it in to my address book?
Sure it's not a virus in disguise?
 ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 04:41:58 AM »
So you think it's wise to let it in to my address book?
Sure it's not a virus in disguise?
 ???

Well... the antivirus heuristic module must access the address book to do its job... If you don't want, you can disable that heuristic feature in the providers settings...

Or you trust in your security company or you must change to another... This is a dilema that the user must go further  8)
The best things in life are free.

alimoso

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 11:39:14 PM »
It wasn't Avast that was trying to get in my address book, Avast was trying to stop someone!
It seems that I had a Trojan called 'Win32 Trojan-gen (vc)'
Avast had a bit of trouble with it. It couldn't delete it or move it to start with. And it kept on turning Avast off when scanning (I was on the net).
But in the end Avast came out the winner of course and managed to move it in to the virus chest.
Still there, but I guess it's safe for the moment. :)