Author Topic: Access denied  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Efcis

Access denied
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:58:45 PM »
Hi

I'm using Avast Home 4.8 on my machine that runs a "nightly" DOS script every night. In this script, I call a "compiled" AutoIt script I've written months ago. Last night, Avast triggered an alert on this file and blocked my DOS script. So far, so good. I guess one of the updated signature now matches my exe ?! As I'm totally confident in this exe, I canceled the alert, and added the exe to the Avast Exceptions.

But, now, my DOS script can't access it anymore ! I get an "access denied". I tried several things with no joy :-(  What can I do, to "re-enable" the access to this exe to my DOS script, except by disabling the resident protection of Avast which is not a acceptable answer to this problem ?

Thanks !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Access denied
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:09:55 PM »
There do seem to be detections when some AutoIt scripts are created (it is a common tool for those script kiddies).

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.

If it is indeed a false positive, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

primeducky

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »
I posted a similar quesiton. Why can't avast prompt me to ask if the script is ok to run & save the setting for future use.  I see their solution, which is not an viable solution for me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:24:55 PM »
Why is it not viable, surely having avast correct the detection if it is a clean file will not only help you but possibly other avast users if these scripts are available to others.

You might not have noticed, but there is a huge clue in the above post ant it is how to exclude to be able to upload to virus total, the same can be applied to the specific file/s. Not to mention the link I gave on how to report and 'exclude' from further scans.

It isn't their solution, though I'm not sure which one you are talking about. If it is by manually setting the exclusions, that is because Alwil software took the decision not to have a single click option to exclude. This avoids accidental exclusion of an infected file, so they chose the manual inclusion, a deliberate act to exclude a file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security