Author Topic: Big updates for the Linux version of Avast?  (Read 7574 times)

BjorkTork

Big updates for the Linux version of Avast?
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:28:31 PM »
I'm using both Avast! for Windows and Linux. As a rule the updates for the Windows version is about 200 KB if run every day. But the updates for Linux tends to be several MB (5 -10) big. Are there a difference in how these updates are distributed?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Big updates for the Linux version of Avast?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »
The Windows update is incremental (only the new definitions), the Linux update is the whole database.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

BjorkTork

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
Right then, that explains the big load :). Thank you!

Do you know if there are plans to make the Linux updates incremental too? Not that I've seen much of viruses on my Ubuntu system, but since I pay per MB to my ISP an incremental update strategy would be very much appreciated!

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »

Do you know if there are plans to make the Linux updates incremental too? Not that I've seen much of viruses on my Ubuntu system, but since I pay per MB to my ISP an incremental update strategy would be very much appreciated!

one incremental-update package was already posted here. no fear, it's only another'n;more efficient way how to get 400.vps incrementally, in windows-style. as far as I remember, nobody has reported a single reaction :)

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

BjorkTork

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
I'm afraid I do not understand your answer  :-[ Do you mean there is an incremetal one or do you mean there is no need for such an update. Please explain to a blockhead  :)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »

one incremental-update package was already posted here. no fear, it's only another'n;more efficient way how to get 400.vps incrementally, in windows-style. as far as I remember, nobody has reported a single reaction :)

regards,
pc

Is that a beta? What's the link? I'll try it.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »

regards,
pc

Is that a beta? What's the link? I'll try it.

Well,
it was Linux a beta, later it was incorporated into the Mac daemon. Just untar it, read the instructions, and try it. It's really nothing more than making a directory, and running a binary with proper switches there. the result is fresh new 400.vps, avastvpsreload-able to the engine.

regards,
pc

uhm, the link? here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37582.0
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)