Author Topic: Avast not seen by vista  (Read 12107 times)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Avast not seen by vista
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 07:31:31 AM »
I wanted to add that looking through my task manager, I saw the mcupdate.exe was running a high CPU usage on my computer. My problem was that I have a cracked version of Vista Ultimate (from Dell) and it doesn't come with McAfee.  I did a search on mcupdate, and of course it came up with the mcafee removal tool.  I ran it, just out of curiosity, and after running it, with a reboot, the windows vista security center said that it couldn't find a A/V program.

I'll look into it further, and this might not be anyone else's problem, because I'm just foolin' around with a "fake" version of vista while I learn it, but it might have something to do with other's problems.

Just FYI i guess.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 03:28:48 AM »
Apparently, this guy at the end of this thread has fixed "his" problem, but I don't know how you'd restore the original system path unless you had a backup of it in the first place.

Maybe it will help someone in the future though.

Read about it here: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33935668

I'm still looking for a better definitive answer, and I'll share it once I find it.

EDIT - I guess I could just re-install Vista and copy the system path info and paste it in here, but unfortunately I'm testing a lot of programs for clients, and I'd rather not.

If anyone has the time, the next time you do a clean install of Vista, would you mind posting the info for us here?  I will gladly do it the next time that I re-install, but I'd imagine that there's got to be someone here that will do it before I do...

Who knows, maybe it will work.  I know that I didn't have any problems before using the McAfee Uninstall util.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:40:54 AM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 04:10:08 AM »
Hi all,

This is not a huge issue nor is it necessarily relevant.

So here is a summary:  when going to the security center, I got a green light on everything: Anti-malware, firewall, etc. However when running a diagnostic of the computer I would get a message saying that vista had no recognized Antivirus software. (open Performance Information and Tools, Click Advanced tools and select the system health report)

I left the thread concluding that this had no major or minor impact on the overall security of the system since Avast is functioning normally.

Why this post then?

Well, today I did a restore to factory defaults and went through the update process.  This issue is now gone. The only difference before this install and the previous one is that this was done pre-SP while the one giving me this problem was post-SP1. But by updating to SP1 I remain with the following problem:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41430.msg355137#msg355137

Thanks.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »
I left the thread concluding that this had no major or minor impact on the overall security of the system since Avast is functioning normally.
Why this post then?
In fact, we're troubleshooting Microsoft and not avast. But, like any user, we want things working as they should, don't we? ;)
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »
Why this post then?
In fact, we're troubleshooting Microsoft and not avast. But, like any user, we want things working as they should, don't we? ;)

I'm not sure how to get Microsoft's approval of avast! but I'm sure that it probably is not inexpensive.

It looks like they are promoting Windows Live Care.

I'm happy with avast!

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »

Indeed, but there is one more possible explanation I might have overlooked. On my LapTop I have an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS video card. Now I'm not sure if this specific model is one of the ones who is "destined" to overheat but I do know that for one reason or another, HP will not let me download the latest Driver from Nvidia. (ie HP offers a driver it considers most up to date but there is a second one offered by Nvidia which is more recent)

I have some problems because of this. I get a blank screen for a few seconds and then a bubble message on the right side of the task bar saying that the video card was slow to respond and that Vista recovered. In the problems and report section I told to update the driver. Which is already up to date.

This is not responsible for Vista not having seen Avast but It might  answer my question in:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41430.msg355137#msg355137

I'll post this again there.
Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »

I'm not sure how to get Microsoft's approval of avast! but I'm sure that it probably is not inexpensive.

I'm happy with avast!

Sorry I got this post after having started writing mine. I think that in my specific case there was a setting somewhere that was off. Probably an error or something. Now that I did a clean install it seems to be gone, except for the ghost issue. That I'm still puzzled about but we'll see what happens in the future.

Generally Microsoft has somewhat good products but their intention is to cut the competition. That is why in EU, Vista OS's don't have Windows Media player pre-installed, to prevent Microsoft from such practices.
Computer Systems:

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »
On my Vista Home Premium system I have to set Security Center to not Monitor

On my old XP Pro system that has Avira Security Center is normal.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:16 PM »
Well that's one way of doing it, but Right now the center is all green and I have no reports from anywhere that The security is not working.
So Avast does work well with vista in some instances.

P.S.
On vista home Basic I do not have any of these issues.
Computer Systems:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 11:07:41 PM »
I hope they're NOT doing this on purpose...
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:21 AM »
I hope they're NOT doing this on purpose...

I posted once some of the anti-viruses I used over time. One of them which not many of you might have heard of is: RAV (which is an acronym for Reliable Anti-Virus or Romanian Anti-Virus depending on who you ask)

Now the story behind this program is interesting as it also points to what Microsfot might be trying to achieve.

I suggest reading this article:
http://www.sbp-romania.com/Blog/2008/12/09/Microsoft-Antivirus-or-not.aspx
Computer Systems: