Author Topic: Can Not Uninstall  (Read 20475 times)

sgtbob

Can Not Uninstall
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
I downloaded the free version of Avast for Mac systems to see if it worked as I hoped.  Unfortunately, it is hung up and there is no way to uninstall it or to make it work properly.  Can someone advise how to get it off my iMAC???

Bob ???

sgtbob

Re: Can Not Uninstall
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:15:41 AM »
Disregard - I unchecked everything and finally got it moved to the trash can and deleted.  Upon restart, it was gone.  I would liek to use this program, but the experience I had isn't encouraging.  Anyone care to suggest a good virus program for the MAC?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:09:08 AM »
Disregard - I unchecked everything and finally got it moved to the trash can and deleted.  Upon restart, it was gone.  I would liek to use this program, but the experience I had isn't encouraging.  Anyone care to suggest a good virus program for the MAC?

What did you not like about Avast?

As for a good AV program, if you feel you need one (you can get by without one) and you don't want to use avast, then there are others like ClamXav and VirusBarrier. But I think you would like avast if you would let us help you with any issues you have.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 03:21:19 AM »
(you can get by without one)

Not for long, I fear.

I was reading an article on Tom's Hardware today that Malware publishers make malware and viruses for profit (obviously) and they don't really prey on Apple computers yet because they don't hold enough of the market share.  The analysts believe that once they reach 16% of the market share (which they probably will very soon, since it's "cool" to have a mac), the tables may turn and you would be well, dumb to not run an A/V software.

Yeah, just found the article (if you're interested) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-macbook-laptop,2132-2.html

You might be okay without one now, but don't count on that being forever...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 03:26:18 AM »
(you can get by without one)

Not for long, I fear.

I was reading an article on Tom's Hardware today that Malware publishers make malware and viruses for profit (obviously) and they don't really prey on Apple computers yet because they don't hold enough of the market share.  The analysts believe that once they reach 16% of the market share (which they probably will very soon, since it's "cool" to have a mac), the tables may turn and you would be well, dumb to not run an A/V software.

Yeah, just found the article (if you're interested) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-macbook-laptop,2132-2.html

You might be okay without one now, but don't count on that being forever...

It is highly unlikely that the Mac will ever hit 16% (Currently only about 5-6% of the Worldwide market) of the computer market unless Apple starts licensing the OS to other manufacturers. That wont happen, they already tried that in the 90s with disastrous results.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:36 AM »
You don't think that they'll ever hit 16%?  That might be like Bill Gates saying that we'll never need more than 16MB of RAM (or 1MB or whatever he said back in the day). lol.

All I know is parents kept telling me after Christmas time that when they bought their children a computer, (even a 2 or 3k dollar one at that) they were upset because they wanted a Mac.

I think they'll get there soon, especially since you can run windoze on 'em.

I guess we can just wait and see though...

Have a good one.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »

Hallo,
roughly said, the main purpose of an antivirus is to detect/manipulate viruses - that's what we do at the pretty same level as the windows counterpart. Maybe you dislike something in the present GUI presentation - then, feel free to tell us, and we can incorporate it to the present beta-gui for version 2 (engine for version 2 was already released for testing).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)