Author Topic: XP Cannot Login!  (Read 9944 times)

sneaker98

XP Cannot Login!
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:08:22 AM »
Hey folks,

I searched around, but I couldn't find a concrete solution to my problem.

I had my avast home key expire, so I uninstalled it in order to install a new one with the new key (for whatever reason, I could never get it working properly again after inserting a new key... issue for another day). So, I uninstalled and restarted per its request - only now I get a login loop at the XP login screen. I'll log in, and the system logs me immediately out.

I also can't login via Safe Mode - it does the exact same thing.

So, in my frustration, I tried to repair XP via the CD - same thing happened when I tried to login afterwards. So then I reinstalled XP completely, since most of my important data is on separate partitions anyways. The install, which was XP SP2, went just fine. I logged in, installed the display and network drivers, and then Avast again... and lo and behold, upon restart, same problem! Another login loop!

So, the issue is clearly avast here.

I have access to the XP partition, since I have a dual-boot system with Vista - so, what can I do to fix this? I'd like to keep using avast, but... christ, this is annoying!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: XP Cannot Login!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:46:07 PM »
Did you format the drive before installing XP again?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:35:48 AM by Eddy »

ardvark

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:33:06 AM »
but... christ, this is annoying!

Please do not swear using the name of the One who died for you!!! >:(

May God Bless you

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:30 AM »
but... christ, this is annoying!

Please do not swear using the name of the One who died for you!!! >:(

May God Bless you
I respect the help you usually offer, but this is unhelpful.
If you can't help the user, how about ignoring what you see as the offending text?
For the average person, this is a commonplace expression (whether you find it acceptable or not), and the help forum is, I believe, a place for average people.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:54:34 AM »
[I respect the help you usually offer, but this is unhelpful.
If you can't help the user, how about ignoring what you see as the offending text?
For the average person, this is a commonplace expression (whether you find it acceptable or not), and the help forum is, I believe, a place for average people.

Hi Tarq...

I disagree and it is a very disrespectful expression that those of us who believe don't need nor have to tolerate! >:(

Best Regards...

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 04:00:23 AM »

Hi Tarq...

I disagree and it is a very disrespectful expression that those of us who believe don't need nor have to tolerate! >:(

Best Regards...

Drats!

This is descending into a religious discussion again!

Ge0m3tRiC

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 04:04:35 AM »

Hi Tarq...

Best Regards...

I hate to say it but you kind of do need to tolerate it as you reside in a world shared by many people with many different belief structures. I think it is a beautiful thing that you have found something you believe in, but please respect that fact that it is dangerous to reach a point where you are willing to fight others for this thing. A good amount of death in this world is produced by this notion and I have seen some of it firsthand. It is not pretty nor is it in any way justified.   

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 04:13:24 AM »
I hate to say it but you kind of do need to tolerate it as you reside in a world shared by many people with many different belief structures. I think it is a beautiful thing that you have found something you believe in, but please respect that fact that it is dangerous to reach a point where you are willing to fight others for this thing. A good amount of death in this world is produced by this notion and I have seen some of it firsthand. It is not pretty nor is it in any way justified.   

Hi...

I believe in Someone, not just in something and I believe that anyone else who has a personal relationship with our Lord would find it equally offensive.

May God Bless you!

Ge0m3tRiC

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 04:23:54 AM »

Hi...

I believe in Someone, not just in something and I believe that anyone else who has a personal relationship with our Lord would find it equally offensive.

May God Bless you!

If god is Omnipotent then he is not SOMEONE, but EVERYTHING. The beautiful thing is that we all get to share this world with each other. I agree there is a level of tact that should be present IN THE REAL WORLD, however this is a metaphysical meeting room for discussion of anti virus software so the common person posting will be experiencing (in most cases) frustrating issues involving computer security. I think we all have cursed up and down over our computer problems as we try to troubleshoot them. Also if we were going under your notion there would be many things I could not say or do as we would have to take all perceptions into account. I find this a bit unfair. People should not have to type with fear that anything they say could be deemed offensive. The awesome thing about an internet forum is that we all get to state our peace, we also do not have to click a thread if we do not like it:) God bless:) 

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 04:46:57 AM »
The way I see it, aardvark, is that if you are offering the help in a thread, you have some right to determine the conduct.
You didn't offer the help, you just came here to state your case.
That it may (or may not) be valid is of no relevance.

Can we please get this thread back on topic, for the sake of the OP (and anyone able to help.)
I'm almost sorry I replied to it.

Ge0m3tRiC

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 05:05:52 AM »
I apologize for my involvement in hijacking things. To not be able to log into your computer must be a very frustrating thing and I hope someone can help you! 

sneaker98

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
Did you format the drive before installing XP again?
Considering XP forces a format when you reinstall it... well, yeah! I did a full one too, not a Quick, though it wouldn't make a difference.

Folks, I've tried the usual things. I'm a paid programmer, who has done hundreds of XP installs, and I build my own computers. I'm the guy people come to when they need help with their computer. Just so you know my skill level. :)

Like I said, my XP worked just fine when I reinstalled it. It only stopped working when I reinstalled Avast.

I was hoping to find some error log regarding logins, but my Software/Security/etc logs in /system32/config are corrupt (I copied them over to my laptop's XP install to view them... which happens to be running avast with no problems)

@ardvark: Apologies if I've offended, but considering I've spent the better part of 3 days trying to fix this one... well, you'll have to excuse a little cursing.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 09:01:50 AM »
I have asked one of the moderators of this forum to provide guidance whether the religious postings of US based Christian participants is to be the decisive factor in religious discussion in these avast forums or whether we should all try to observe, as far as possible, a religion free global technical support forum for all on the planet. 

I hope for the religion free discussion ... I will abide by the moderator's decision.

sneaker98

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »
Looks like someone at one point had the same problem as me

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25037

But no solution. Any thoughts yet, folks?

I know I can always do another reformat and just not install avast, but a) I like avast, and b) I want to know the solution to this, so if it happens again I can fix it!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »
What happens if you install SP3 for XP before installing Avast?
I know,I know, it shouldn't make a difference, but maybe it's worth trying.
Personally I can not imagine what is causing a logon loop on a clean install. It's quite bizarre.
Apart from the drivers mentioned, is Avast the only other software on this clean install? Obviously you're installing it on an admin account.