Author Topic: install error for Avast Home Edition 4.1.389  (Read 4083 times)

mg

install error for Avast Home Edition 4.1.389
« on: April 29, 2004, 09:27:08 PM »
I downloaded, installed and registered Avast Home Edition yesterday.
I'm running XP Pro Sp1 on a Athlon64 laptop.
the service refuses to start with error 193 : not a win32 application.
same thing happened with the free Anti-Vir Personal.
AVG 6 Free works fine, F-Prot works fine, Norton works fine.
(yes I uninstalled each one of them before a new installation and did a safe reboot).
The Micro$oft knowledge base reports this as a path problem (spaces in the path) but how come some of them work and some don't if all of them are in c:\Program Files\xxxxxxxx ?

MG

RJARRRPCGP

Re:install error for Avast Home Edition 4.1.389
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 03:42:08 AM »
The files got corrupted or there's an incompatibility problem with the Athlon 64.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 03:42:25 AM by RJARRRPCGP »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 04:47:19 AM »
What do you mean with 'safe reboot'?
Maybe your uninstallations were not enough... You probably has an incompatibility due to Windows Registry trash left behind...

I think there isn't any 'theoric' incompatibility between the Athlon64 chip but I did not try that 'dream' computer yet  ;)
The best things in life are free.

mg

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 08:25:54 AM »
safe reboot means reboot the machine between uninstallation of one program and installation
of another.
still I can't believe there is an incompatiblity issue with the Athlon64.
my guess is that Norton , which came with the computer, as usual messed up the registry
when "asked" to leave the premises...
will see....

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 01:08:57 PM »
still I can't believe there is an incompatiblity issue with the Athlon64.
I dont think there is. i run avast on a Mac useing Virtual PC and the Apple Power PC G5 is a 64 bit processor as well
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 12:23:57 AM »
my guess is that Norton , which came with the computer, as usual messed up the registry

Oooohhh, noooooo.... Norton again!!! Get away from it!!!
It's not my guess but my completely sure  :-\
Remove Norton is one of the most difficult things in earth...
Do not install more than one antivirus program (resident). Norton is the monster of the monsters... Never gets out of the registry... unless a lot of work can be done... But be happy, I´m here because I get rid from Norton, after Vlk and Kubecj precious help, lot of lost hours... But I´m here, I´m avast! To get rid from Norton is one of the most difficult things in the earth!
The main reason installation fails or systems freeze when using new AV programs is the inablility of the old ones to uninstall properly. I have had to dig up removal tools for Norton before anything would operate properly. This is not an avast issue, Kaspersky, McAfee and even Grisoft (e-mail plugin) have their own unique uninstall issues as well.

Search the forums for NAV and my name (Technical) and you will find a lot of instructions for removing it and trying to clean the Registry. Maybe this one: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=259;start=0
The best things in life are free.