Author Topic: new to the SBS software  (Read 7102 times)

ACG_Support

new to the SBS software
« on: January 30, 2009, 05:13:26 AM »
I've downloaded the Avast SBS demo and have installed it on my SBS2003 server. I enabled the P2P Shield, Network Shield, Outlook/Exchange, Standard Shield, and Web shield providers. I poked around the program to see what features the exchange element contained and was unable to "see" very much to poke around with. I'll admit I'm accustomed to Symantec Endpoint software (which doesn't impress me much). Are there more settings that can be tweaked aside from double clicking on the Outlook/Exchange Provider Task and viewing the settings?

Also, the program I installed (and it vanity screen coming up) states Avast Server Edition 4.8. Is this the correct download for MS SBS 2003? Is it supposed to say that its the SBS version?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: new to the SBS software
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:28:13 AM »
Alright, a couple of questions:

Did you download the SBS Suite version?

Did you download the ADNM software and install it on your server?

Did you deploy Avast! Server Edition to your SBS server from ADNM console?

Avast! Server Edition 4.8 is the correct version for your server.  It won't say SBS specifically, it's more of a license pricing thing, not a server specific thing.

If you want to "poke around" with settings, you'll have a little bit more control when you edit the settings with the ADNM settings.

I'd take a look at the ADNM Administrator guide for more information on how to install and edit settings. http://files.avast.com/files/eng/adnmag.pdf

What options are you looking to configure exactly?  The plugin for Exchange just sort of, "works."  I don't know what you want to configure, or if you're just looking to see more than you are.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

ACG_Support

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:17:26 AM »
Hello & thanks for the reply.

Yes, I download the SBS version from the Avast website.

I did not download the ADNM software & no, I didn't use it to deploy the program. I downloaded avsrv_full and executed it on the server. This is my first look at any of Avast's server products and was unaware of the ADNM. After reading about it a few moments ago on their website I'm not entirely sure I need it. SQL wont be a major factor on this machine and there aren't very many client systems. I was anticipating going desk to desk on the 5 systems and loading the Avast PRO software once the server was introduced into the environment.

Honestly I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm used to Symantec overkill and I guess I was expectig to see options to register blacklists or manual string or IP entry to fine tune filters.

I just don't want to deploy the program and find out there's something I may need to do that I don't have the tools for. I've been very impressed with the Pro & Home editions. I figured this small network may be a good starting point to test out the server version. If it works out I have several larger clients (40-50+ users) whose servers would enjoy lessening the memory burden that Symantec inflicts.

thanks for the link and the suggestion about the ADNM. I'll read the one and then install the other. I have a few days defore the deploy date.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:31:02 AM »
Ok, well just a few suggestions.

Since you are running an SBS server, the pricing is much better if you go with the SBS suite.  Since the Suite already includes a license for ADNM, why not use it, right?  Sure beats installing and managing clients one by one when you could control them all from one place!

As for the filters and blacklists, I hear ya.  I was used to setting things like that up myself, with other A/V programs.  Then I learned that Avast doesn't really need them!  If there is a problem with a website or an IP address, it's because it's a bad site, or it has been hacked.  You pretty much don't need to whitelist or blacklist ANY site.  It just works that well.

If you want to make sure that you have everything that you need, that you don't have the tools for, make sure that you get some extra malware protection.  Avast pretty much detects everything, but there are some times when it doesn't.  http://www.malwarebytes.com and http://www.superantispyware.com are good products to use if Avast is out-smarted.

As for the larger clients that you have, if they're used to symantec and you switch to avast, they'll definitely notice a difference.  The speed increase is incredible.  I used to have Mcafee on a few of my sites and I switched to avast.  It's so much better!

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

ACG_Support

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »
Had a little trouble with the ADNM. It installed successfully but it will not allow me to login in any way shape or form. I tried all known accounts (theres only 6 at this point) and even sa with various passwords- no luck. I uninstalled ADNM and then reinstalled it without success. Any clues?

ACG_Support

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:56:54 PM »
Never mind on the last query. I guess I was pretty tired last night when I tried to login. I re-read the instructions over coffee this morning and was able to get into the admin console without incident. There's something to be said against burning the candle at both ends. thanks again.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
Heheh, glad you got is straigtened out!

Hope you enjoy the product.