Author Topic: attachments  (Read 6738 times)

wendy1345

attachments
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:17:44 AM »
Hi, I am new here. Can someone please tell me, why I can't get attachments  open that I get with emails.
Thanks, Diana

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: attachments
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:29:38 AM »
Hi, Diana.
Need a bit of info about this. What is your operating system, version, and email program?
Is this a recent behaviour, or has it always been this way, and if recent, what changed on the computer before the problem occured?
Do you get any warning  or information dialogues when attempting to open attachments?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

wendy1345

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:43:11 AM »
Hi, I have windows xp, outlook express and incredimail. When emails comes in with attachments. I cannot get them opened. This is the first time having this problem. I have internet explorer 7

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:47:16 AM »
Does anything at all happen when you double click on the attachment?
What else has recently been installed or run on this computer? Any registry cleaning-type programs?
Any malware recently found/quarantined?
Last but not least, all attachments, or just one type (eg jpg's)

wendy1345

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:16:11 AM »
 I'm not very good with a cp. Sometimes, I think I know more than I do. LOL. I have Avast now. I have malwarebytes' anti-virus and revo uninstaller on my cp. The attachments comes in on most of emails I get form my family.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:28:20 AM »
Hi, I have windows xp, outlook express and incredimail. When emails comes in with attachments. I cannot get them opened. This is the first time having this problem. I have internet explorer 7

Personally I feel you should 'never' try to open an attachment, you never know what kind of thing you are going to let out of the box. Save the attachment to your HDD to a place where you can find it, that move to your HDD should have avast scan the file, depending on the file type and your sensitivity in the Standard Shield.

IE7 shouldn't govern how email attachments are handled unless you are viewing your email on-line with your browser. But if you are using your email program then its security settings may block opening an attachment directly from the email.

Outlook Express has a draconian measure of not allowing you to open any attachment that may be a virus, this has nothing to do with it being a virus, it just blocks attachments by file type. You would be surprised what file types it blocks, the blindingly obvious, .exe files to the ludicrous, .zip and many in between. Basically any file type that could or is commonly infected, however this has been this way for some considerable time.

From the OE, Tools, Options, Security tab, uncheck the option arrowed in my image (click it to enlarge).

I can't speak about Incredimail as I have never used it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 03:30:32 AM »
Well, you seem to have avoided most of  the questions, but never mind.
Assuming you are using Outlook Express for emails, a common setting to check is under "tools>options>security" and check that the checkbox that reads "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" is un-ticked.
If it is un-ticked already, post back.
And the Q's again, in different detail:
-Exactly (to the day) how long has this been happening.
-Was any program installed or run, especially registry type programs, immediately prior to this happening.
-What happens when you click or double click the attachment. (This one I'm real intersted in.The response above has assumed nothing happens.)
-Any error (or other) messages?

Woops, X-posted. Never mind. The above reply should equally help, and then some.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 12:03:28 PM »

You're lucky.

The flying thingamabobs and promotional adverts could drive you insane. 

The only thing worse is AOL. 

wendy1345

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
I am so sorry, I can't tell you more, I just don't that much about cp's. I just don't know why one day I could e emails opened, and now I can't  The attachments has like a paper clip on it, so when I click on it it gives me a number att71b.eml, or save attachment. I never save the attachment. I did have embarq  anti virus on. My cp was acting up I took embarq off, and put avast on
Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »

You're lucky.

The flying thingamabobs and promotional adverts could drive you insane. 

The only thing worse is AOL. 

Which is the reason I never used it, not to keen on bells and whistles (just for the sake of it) and even less adverts.

I never used AOHell either ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

C - B

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 03:51:18 PM »
I am so sorry, I can't tell you more, I just don't that much about cp's. I just don't know why one day I could e emails opened, and now I can't  The attachments has like a paper clip on it, so when I click on it it gives me a number att71b.eml, or save attachment. I never save the attachment. I did have embarq  anti virus on. My cp was acting up I took embarq off, and put avast on
Thanks

When you see the paper clip in Outlook Express try left clicking it a list of the attachments and below that Save Attachments should be displayed, see image.

The .eml file type is an email file format so in normal circumstances this type of attachment is strange. Clicking that when saved should open it with your email program and something which could be slightly dangerous as you don't know what might be in that email.

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 08:22:09 PM »

Thanks

This might be part of the problem. How did you remove the old antivirus?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
Appears that it might be McAfee.http://www.embarq.com/Business/InternetAndIP/Security/1-58QZERCategory643392
Diana, download the McAfee removal tool (halfway down the page here) http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507 (while your at that page, have a quick read for the correct uninstallation procedure. Does that ring any bells with what you did to remove it?)
Run the tool, reboot.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 10:36:57 PM »
PS, do not worry that you don't know much about computers.
Internet forums, like this one, are a good place to learn.
There are no stupid questions...if something is not clear, please ask. I am reasonably sure this can be solved, might just need a few steps.