Author Topic: What is the best firewall to use with Avast..Comodo is causing too many problems  (Read 12588 times)

wsx123

I just switched to the Free Online Armor, no problem with Avast.

ProgrammerGuy

I've got a Windows Me box and a Windows XP Pro box and both have Sygate (pre-Symantec) version and it's plays nice with Avast!, SAS, MBAM and SpywareBlaster...  It's available at Filehippo...and it's free. :)

sded

If you decide to try Sygate, be sure you understand what the "Sygate proxy hole" is and have plans to deal with it.  Avast! is one of the local proxies that is affected by the problem, and Sygate never fixed it.  You can find out more from Google, but Sygate essentially allows any process to access the internet through ashwebsv.exe or ashmaisv.exe without asking for permission.  Other firewalls often use a HIPS or check parent/child relationships to plug the hole.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:06:54 PM by sded »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
If you decide to try Sygate, be sure you understand what the "Sygate proxy hole" is and have plans to deal with it.  Avast! is one of the local proxies that is affected by the problem, and Sygate never fixed it.  You can find out more from Google, but Sygate essentially allows any process to access the internet through ashwebsv.exe or ashmaisv.exe without asking for permission.  Other firewalls often use a HIPS or check parent/child relationships to plug the hole.
Well remembered...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The sygate localhost proxy hole is somewhat negated by the fact that the web shield only allows through supported browsers by default. Unless like Tech you have changed the web shield OptinProcess to allow everything :P

So everything that uses port 80 doesn't pass through the web shield proxy, so should be challenged by sygate, unless it is a browser on the supported list.

However, I don't like using firewalls that are no longer in development, that is the only reason I left Outpost firewall free and moved to the Pro version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
-= For me, Windows Firewall..?  ;D
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

xknighthawkx

I tried Comodo firewall a while back before I had Avast. I didn't like it one bit. But now I am using Ashampoo Firewall with Avast and I haven't had any problem between the two.

Mr.Agent

I dont like so mush other firewall so i say Windows Firewall !

The other look good (OA Free) sound good too