Author Topic: Virus Detected While Searching Internet  (Read 3114 times)

wris

Virus Detected While Searching Internet
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:15:47 AM »
Trying to figure something out and hope someone might have some answers.  I was previously using Panda security and have switched to Avast antivirus and Zone Alarm.   I have had two different popup warnings from Avast since I installed it a few weeks ago.  The most recent today, I was searching the internet for vintage biscuit tins.  The warning said the virus was called Allapple-A (wrm).  I always immediately shut down the internet connection when I get the warning, open Avast and schedule a boot scan to run.  When the scan ended, I had Allapple-A in my virus chest  and the original file name was tinlist[1].htm.   Wonder if that has something to do with searching for tins.

My question:  I never had this happen with Panda and I’m trying to determine why it’s happening now.  Is it because Avast is so good that it detects these, or bad because it didn’t stop it (and Panda just automatically stopped it ?)?    There was some popup from Avast (?) at the time it occurred and I think I was supposed to click on something.  I’m always hesitant to do that because I don’t know if it’s a hoax and if I click on it, I will have a full scale virus.  So, I just close the browser.

Do I just leave this file in my virus chest and is it also in my computer somewhere?   And, any idea why these are getting thru?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Virus Detected While Searching Internet
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »
Can only really guess about the answers to these questions. I would have thought Panda would be fairly good, but it is certainly possible Avast is detecting what Panda didn't. If you Google the name of the malware indicated, it is real, and a worm that exploits vulnerabilities. Avast appears to have stopped it in its tracks. Nice.

I'd suggest you see about getting all your software up to date. Out of date stuff on board is one of the likely routes for any web based exploit. Have a look at http://secunia.com/ and try the online scan out. (You'll need to "OK" the loading of a Java applet.) The scan may reveal much about the condition of your software.

Not a bad philosophy, that of not clicking on popups. When Avast gives you an alert, it is accompanied by a sound, and identifiably Avast. Like the info box says, no need to panic, though. Closing it quickly would have made no difference to the payload installed, had it been a bogus.
It's safe to look at the Avast alerts, and take the appropriate action, in this (and most cases) send it to the chest.
You can leave it in the chest indefinitely. It isn't going to escape; can do no harm there.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

wris

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:29:24 AM »
Thanks very much for responding. I believe Panda did a good job at protecting my computer, as the only files Avast found that they didn't like were 3 panda files that were not actual viruses.

I went to the secunia link and it told me I need to be running Java version 1.6.0.  My Java 2 Runtime is version 1.4.1, which I believe is also called Sun Java.  I'm a little confused on how to update this.   However, I have read that the latest version for Sun Java is 6 Update 11,  as referenced on MajorGeeks.   Is the Sun Java 6 Update 11 the correct update for my Java 2 Runtime?

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149858

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:45:24 AM »
The problem with Panda is it doesn't encrypt its virus signatures, so any other AV will see those and alert as if it were genuine, after all that is what it is meant to do.

First remove All Older Versions of JAVA from Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Then install the latest version that you found at MajorGeeks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:51:32 AM »
Sun Java is the name for the Java application. The current update is 6.11, I'm pretty sure. I use the Secunia PSI and it hasn't notified me of anything different. You should uninstall all old Java versions and install the latest direct from the manufacturers (Sun) website.
In fact, if you go to this linkhttp://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp and click the "verify" button, it should tell you what to do.
I'd read that Panda was pretty good.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Spiritsongs

"Old" Java Versions
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:22:52 AM »
 :)  Hi :

The Java "Version" you mentioned is extremely "old" and an extreme security
 risk . Should ONLY ever have One "Version/Update" of this program ( hopefully
 the latest ) on a computer; since it is unknown as to HOW many "versions" of
 Java you may have on your computer, it is recommended that you run the
 FREE "JavaRa" program, available at http://raproducts.org .