Author Topic: Avast NetServer killing Exchange 2007.  (Read 9377 times)

The3Geeks

Avast NetServer killing Exchange 2007.
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:17:43 AM »
Hi, we have an Exchange 2007 server with Avast NetServer 4.8 on it and the Information Store will no longer start claiming that Avast is the issue.

The first message is:
Invalid virus scanner configuration. Unable to start virus scanner.
Check the following parameter: Library.

The library parameter is set to: "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\avExVxx2.dll"

Then this message:
Error 0x3ee starting the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
Failed to init VSERVER.

We have removed Avast locally and reinstalled using ADNM from the network, no change.
We then removed locally, renamed the Avast4 folder and reinstalled from network, no change.

If we set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan\Enabled key to "0", the information store will start.

Please advise, client lives and dies by e-mail and we cannot allow them to run without a AV scanner.

Thanks, Tom

The3Geeks

Re: Avast NetServer killing Exchange 2007
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
We also fully removed the ADNM-installed client and installed the full-installer net version (setup_av_net.exe) and pointed THAT at the ADNM. This changed the behavior only now instead of preventing the Information Store service from running, it refuses to show in the On-Access config that the Exchange 2007 module is installed at all and although it DOES show the SMTP module, it shows it as in a "waiting" state, not fully started. During the install we received an error 0x80001111 from the AvSMTP2K.dll file when it's processing that module. The install finishes but it appears to never get to the point beyond registering and trying to run something from that dll and though an attempted reinstall/repair shows the Exchange 2007 module already checked (as if it were installed) I see no changes happening to the Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 folder when completing the install with the Exchange 2007 option checked vs. unchecked.

The3Geeks

Re: Avast NetServer killing Exchange 2007.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »
Alright, one better. Updated ADNM to 4.8. Uninstalled the NetServer managed client and rebooted. Then installed the new 4.8 NetServer managed client. Though everything seems to install smoothly (the errors above were eliminated), the Exchange 2007 module does not appear to load in the On-Access scanner configuration. The Outlook/Exchange module is shown and the SMTP module is shown but not the Exchange module. Is this normal/correct? If you install the regular Server version you get both the Outlook/Exchange module and the Exchange 2007 module in that list. Since we're running Server 2008 with Exchange 2007, I have to wonder if what we're seeing is the right and proper thing. An answer, anyone? =)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »
Hi The3Geeks,

in order to make it work, you need to enable the "Exchange 2007" provider in the on-access scanning task assigned to the Exchange server machine (you need to do this via ADNM console).

That is, open the ADNM console, go to the Tasks -> Client-side Tasks -> On-access scanning tasks, right click the task in question (usually there's just one, so select this one), choose Properties, go to the Providers page, and make sure the box that says Exchange 2007 is ticked. Confirm the changes with OK, and wait for the machine to get the new settings (or if you don't want to wait, right click its name [in the Computer Catalog] and use the Apply to Computer command).

Now, everything should work OK.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 03:21:22 AM »
Thanks VLK for that!

And to anyone that has SBS 2008 with avast installed, this could be your problem too, but more than likely you forgot to uninstall Windows Live OneCare Security center before installing avast!!!

I totally forgot that it came bundled, and couldn't figure out why my Information store wouldn't start.

Getting rid of that pesky onecare software did it.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum