Author Topic: Unable to open certain web pages  (Read 6899 times)

mamasgolfing

Unable to open certain web pages
« on: February 02, 2009, 09:02:34 PM »
When I was installing Avast, I vaguely remember something that if I checked something, I might not be able to open certain web sites.  I now find that I am unable to open several of my favorites.  I can't find any read me files.  Can anyone help?    ???

mamasgolfing

Re: Unable to open certain web pages
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
Oh, Oh, I just read in another question that I may be posting in the wrong forum.  I will try to locate the correct forum and post there.   Sorry.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 10:36:19 PM »
This is the correct forum, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0, post there. However, your question is extremely vague and as it is I wouldn't have an idea where to begin to attempt an answer.

Are you really still using avast 4.6 or is that because you can't edit your profile.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:58:14 AM »
I noticed from your signature that the system only has 256MB RAM.

Adding at least another 256MB RAM will greatly improve the performance of your system plus RAM is inexpensive now.

I also notices that you are running SP2 and SP3 has been available for over 6 months with several Security enhancements.

In IE go to Tools then Windows Update then let Windows download the updates it requires.

mamasgolfing

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »
I am using Avast 4.8 Home edition.  No, I do not know how to edit my profile.  I had originally joined in 2006 and it is showing all my info from back then. I really don't know how to be specific about my problem, but when I was re-installing Avast, there was something there that said if I checked some box, I might not be able to view certain sites.  If you could help me with updating my profile, I might try uninstalling Avast and then re-install and watch for that statement.  I do have all my windows updates, but they aren't showing in my profile.   Thanks for any help you might offer.
Geri

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:43:33 PM »
Click on Profile then Forum Profile Information then scroll down to Signature:

There is other information you may want to update there.

Can you give an example of Favorites that do not open?

e.g.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php

From now on you should post in a more suitable area of the forum:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »
YoKenny, read my post again, mamasgolfing with less than 20 posts, so there is a restricted ability to edit the profile.

@ mamasgolfing
There is a profile button at the top of each page, click that to get to where YoKenny said, see image, mi forum theme is likely to be different to yours but the buttons should still be somewhere near the top of the page. Though as I said I don't know if you will be able to change it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security