Author Topic: The Silent Delete  (Read 3280 times)

headhunter

The Silent Delete
« on: April 30, 2004, 04:37:20 PM »
How can I configure AVAST 4 Pro to delete infected emails and attachments without prompting me first. As I get a lot of infected spam, I am constantly inturrupted by the Virus found window and the subsequent window whichs pops up after I request a delete. I would like infected emails to be deleted without inturrupting my work.

Thanks for your insight.

gameout

Re:The Silent Delete
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 06:15:12 PM »
I believe this must be done by customizing the standard shield and clicking on the virus tab.

Good luck.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 10:36:44 PM »
How can I configure AVAST 4 Pro to delete infected emails and attachments without prompting me first. As I get a lot of infected spam, I am constantly inturrupted by the Virus found window and the subsequent window whichs pops up after I request a delete. I would like infected emails to be deleted without inturrupting my work.

Thanks for your insight.

With the free version (smiple user interface) there is only two choices. If you under "Internet Mail", "Customize", "Advanced"
select "Silent mode" and "with general answer No" then all infected attachements will be moved to the chest (but the message will not be deleted though).   To bad there is no "Delete attachment" (you need to empty the Chest from time to time :-)

BTW:  To the avast! team.  The helt text is WRONG on "with general answer No".  It's says the chossen action will be "No" or "Delete", but it will be "Move to chest".  Maybe you should change this.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 10:38:49 PM by Lars-Erik »
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

seand

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 10:40:29 PM »
Edit:
Oops.  Sorry for the duplicate answer!  Lars-Erik was posting while I was composing!!  His answer above is more detailed.

Sean D
 End Edit:

I use the Internet Mail provider in the avast! On-Access Scanner for scanning my mail.

If you are using that provider to implement "silent delete" select the Internet Mail provider, then Customize, then Advanced.

On that tab select "Silent Mode" with general answer NO (Cancel)

I assume the Exchange/Outlook provider will have similar options (I do not use Outlook)

The key is to know that "general answer No (Cancel) is the option to delete and or quarantine the infected file.

Hope this helps,

Sean D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 10:43:56 PM by seand »