Author Topic: New Avast user - couple of questions  (Read 2059 times)

Hendo

New Avast user - couple of questions
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »
I have just installed Avast Free. I have also installed Windows Defender.

Can I now safely uninstall Norton? (my subscription has expired so no longer getting the updates)

When Avast starts up it says that the following did not start as Norton is active:

- Standard Shield
- P2P
- Instant Messaging

Is this a problem? And will these start OK if I uninstall Norton?

Last question - does Avast scan Outlook Express messages? I noticed on the scanner screen that the Scanned Count is zero for Outlook/Exchange.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: New Avast user - couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:56:05 PM »
Hi Hendo, and welcome to the forum.
Yes, it is a problem. You need to uninstall the Norton application, and probably also have to run the Norton removal tool. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norton2008.nsf/docid/2007082908475279?Open (Don't worry about saving your product key.)
Avast might work correctly following these actions, or you may have to carry out a "repair install" (Control panle>add/remove programs>avast antivirus>change/remove then click "repair")
Worst case you will have to uninstall both, run the Avast uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html (download this first) possibly in "safe" mode, reboot, and re-install Avast afresh. Just be off line for the time you don't have an AV installed during this process.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: New Avast user - couple of questions
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:58:22 PM »
Outlook Express is not Covered by the Exchange/Outlook provider. This one is only for MS Outlook (the one from MS Office package).
Internet Mail provider will cover your Outlook Express. If you're not using MS Outlook, you can install avast! without this provider...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog