Author Topic: Zone Alarm Question  (Read 8357 times)

Eminem

Zone Alarm Question
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:41:51 PM »
No one will answer me on the zone alarm forum. Does zone alarm protect from trojans? I used to get alerts periodically from norton that said Bla Trojan Horse was blocked. However i have now uninstalled norton.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Zone Alarm Question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:00:46 AM »
Strange that, hardly bods well for a product when you don't get answers.

I would say it depends on what version you have, the free version certainly won't as it doesn't have an AV, but why would you want an AV when you have avast to take care of that side.

The Norton you mentioned was probably a suite version with integrated firewall and anti-virus, so that is likely why it alerted in this way.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:01:58 AM »
Hi again Eminem, just found this post after replying to the one about how to install Avast/will it run with ZA.

Any firewall, ZA included, should either automatically block or prompt for any unrecognized program, including a trojan, from connecting to the net from your PC. As such a firewall can be thought of as a safety net; it's the last line of defence from preventing these things from phoning home to download their nasty cargo, or send off your cc number etc.

You have previously used Norton. Didn't know that. As part of the procedure I've posted here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42316.msg354402#msg354402 you should, before disconnecting from the net, download the Norton Removal Tool http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=1a13409b-29db-4397-a286-9dec49f8e252&seg=hho&ct=us&lg=en&docurl=20080828154508EN and run it just after running the AVG removal tool.

If there is a possibility of a trojan on your computer, definitely run the Avast boot scan when prompted during the install.
Additional programs that are (1) free (2) very good at general malware removal include MBAM and SAS. Consider installing one (or both) of these, updating, and scanning. They are demand scanners, ie: do not run in the background on boot.http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Eminem

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:03:54 AM »
thank you so much everyone. This forum is a huge help and you get extremely fast answers :).

Eminem

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:05:59 AM »
By the way Tarq i have Spyware S&D installed is it any good? And by the way it was norton internet security 2005.

Avastfan1

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:42:27 AM »
Hello Eminem,

Please listen first and foremost to the Avast Forum Gurus as they are the experts.

Just thought I'd throw my two quid in for what it's worth.

I use Zone Alarm Pro which has the anti-spyware function built in. To be honest I am not really convinced of its value. I concur with the other posts that MBAM and SAS are the best products on the market.

I use MBAM as resident anti-spyware protection. Moreover Avast Pro and Zone Alarm are my anti-virus and firewall respectively. SAS I use on demand and usually scan once per week. Other posts on this board have noted the extremely long download times for SAS updates.

Spybot was once quite good. However in my experience it could not effectively remove a nasty trojan on a friend's computer.

Zone Alarm Security Suite has an anti-virus function which may more effectively protect against trojans. I can only say that I don't personally believe the anti-spyware function of Zone Alarm is robust enough to function as the sole program protecting your computer.

Hope that helps.

Avastfan1

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:51:09 AM »
Spybot is still under active development, there is a new version coming soon, I think, and the current version still has its uses. I keep it. MBAM and SAS are the current "rock stars", though. They are particularly good against a lot of the current rogue antivirus applications floating around.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 01:02:32 AM »
thank you so much everyone. This forum is a huge help and you get extremely fast answers :).

You're welcome.

Nothing wrong with S&D, though SAS and MBAM I feel are better detection and removal wise (but the free versions of both are on-demand only) and there is a limited resident protection in S&D.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Eminem

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 01:18:01 AM »
hey everyone i'm back and happy to report i installed Avast and it seems to be working great.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 01:26:37 AM »
Hi Eminem,

Happy when you are happy,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

sded

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:02:16 AM »
Just a bit of orientation about the various products for frequently asked questions.
Security sort of looks like a (layered) sieve:
FW---->AV/AS/AM/----->HIPS---->BB or ? with each layer trying to correct the mistakes of the previous layer, and often involving the user in the decisions.
A firewall ( like Zone Alarm) is all about connections, and blocks incoming connections that are not specifically allowed, and alerts you and sometimes blocks outgoing connections you didn't request directly or indirectly.  But these are just packets, not files that anyone can deal with.  So they don't know anything about Trojans.  But often have add-ons to do other functions.
An AV/AS/AM, like Avast!, deals with the content of the connection, after it has been converted to files.  It uses known virus/spyware/malware signatures and generic signatures (information on what the malware file might look like), along with algorithmic analysis of the malware and comparison to known threats.  Very effective, but sometimes not up to the last minute or hour threat.  Gives the most definite warning for malware:big "this is malware dummy" type popups.  Some use heuristics, which are external rules of thumb about what a virus/spyware/malware might look like-variable results, but attempt to fill the time gap between virus discovery and virus characterization.  So a modern AV/AS like Avast! should alert you to most Trojans and the like.  Programs like SAS and MBAM add some specialized analysis capability for other classes of malware, but I don't use them online.  Free versions are great for confirmation and removal if necessary, though.
A HIPS (often associated with a firewall) deals with the files when they try to execute, looks for things that a normal unknown executable might not do, and alerts you so you can decide whether the action makes sense in the context of what you are actually doing.  So if a program executes another program or tries to access the disk, you can decide whether that makes sense.  And if a Trojan is too new and different to be alerted by an AV/AS/AM, is another layer to try to stop it early.
Behavior blockers and the like (Threatfire, Prevx Edge, ...) try to extend the HIPS idea to sequences of actions-IAW if an executable starts installing things you don't know about, maybe you should block it.  :)  In a sense, you are the BB for a HIPS, based on looking at the sequence of events, along with your knowledge of what you are doing at the time.  A lot of current research is going into automating this.
Another tool that is invaluable as a last resort or otherwise is an imaging program.  I use Acronis, but there are others.  They provide a complete image of your disk, and the tools to extract from it or replace it if you are infected so badly that other removals are ineffective.
So welcome to Avast!, a key player in the layered protection of your computer.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 02:51:17 AM »
hey everyone i'm back and happy to report i installed Avast and it seems to be working great.

Good news, we're happy too ;D

Eminem

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
with avast installed instead of avg i have even noticed an increase in my computers start up speed. I don't know if its related or not but its great =D.

Eminem

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
also if you guys don't recommend zone alarm free whats a better free firewall?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
Many comment on this type of thing after switching to avast and also snappier overall system performance too. So I think it could well be related ;D