Author Topic: Zone Alarm Question  (Read 8363 times)

Eminem

Re: Zone Alarm Question
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »
ok

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:45 PM »
also if you guys don't recommend zone alarm free whats a better free firewall?
I don't know if there is anything wrong with Zone Alarm, if it works OK, keep it.
I use PCTools Firewall. Easy to use, seems to work well. Don't know if it's better that ZA, though. (Nor do I know if it's worse. ;D It does the job.)
Some others, perhaps more knowledgeable, tend to use Comodo and/or Online Armour, which have a HIPS component. That takes a little learning about, but they are considered good firewalls.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 11:03:32 PM »
Hi Eminem and Tarq57,

Well congrats to you for having a firewall installed, because in the analysis of the HJT logfile txts here in the "virus and worms"-section we often find that it has become sort of a fashion with the younger generation to go onto the World Wide Web without the inward and outward protection of a software firewall solution (and even without the protection of a resident av solution).
Recently ZA came out with these versions of its free software:
ZoneAlarm version:8.0.065.000
TrueVector version:8.0.065.000
Driver version:8.0.065.000
If it works for you, and it does not weigh too heavy on the old cycles, why not keep with it.
Sometimes experienced users switch good software firewalls (only use one at a time), so one period on ZA, another period on Comodo, having a connection monitor running under it, and Wireshark to analyse, also an occasional glance in the reports of EventLog Explorer will give you a hunch as what to look for connection wise.
Combining a software firewall (or a hardware router one) with the Network and Webshield services of avast, going online for normal online activities with limited user rights (only using full admin rights when you cannot do without these, updating, downloading new software, configuration, etc.) and checking all your third party software for the latest updates and security patches through Secunia PSI tool will make your computer experience a far more secure one.
This goes hand in hand with in-browser protection like disabling scripts with NoScript extension and using real-time link checking to stay away from places where one is likely to be digitally "clubbed over the head", but to-day this could also be at the best of websites, so keep your visors up you anti malware knights,

Stay safe and secure,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Mr.Agent

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »
i think comodo firewall or zone alarm free + spybot s&d + avast + mcafee site advisor + comodo trust connect sound a good combo too

sded

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »
My wife uses Zone Alarm Free and is happy with it (along with Avast!) and has so far been well protected.  When I switched to Vista, I was using Zone Alarm also, but the early Vista version was quite slow so I switched to the Vista firewall, then Comodo 3 when it came out.  Comodo was very good, although sometimes a bit complex, so when they switched to the Suite route I moved to Online Armor.  So the current Zone Alarm Free, Comodo, and Online Armor Free are all very popular with Avast! users, as well as a variety of others.  Even the paid ones have free trials, so see which one feels most comfortable to you.  As Tarq57 said, if you like Zone Alarm, keep it-at least until you feel the urge to try something new.  ;)

Eminem

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 11:32:56 PM »
thaanks everyone.