Author Topic: Avast home analysis question  (Read 3676 times)

LaRe

Avast home analysis question
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I have just installed it and i have a problem, everytime i use the normal scanner and it finds a virus it stops scanning until I click in the options of what to do with the virus, thats a problem cos i want to scan over a terabyte when i am at work. The quick scan allows me to do that but i wanna do the normal scan with the full-search. Anybody knows how to do it? And sorry about my bad english

cazoza

Re: Avast home analysis question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »
Try the enhanced interface, and then choose tasks, scan local drives, and then edit the properties of that task, and chek the advanced options, choose virus tab, then delete last word, and then choose, move to chest, then, if fails, delete it , and in the compressors tab, select, all compressors. and then accept. and thats all, when you run that task from the enhanced interface, it will automatically move virus to chest and if it fails, it will delete it.

mevcit

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »
Hi LaRe. Both the quick and the normal scanner (in the simple user interface) stop scanning when a virus is found. And in the home version there is no chance to select an automatic action for these scanners, it is possible in the pro version. Are you sure that the quick scan allows you to do that? And I think there must be an option in the alarm window not to ask the action anymore. So you can check that option and select quarantine/delete etc when the first alarm window appears. Then you will not be warned to take action. Also you can use eicar-test file to get the first alarm. ;) By the way I assume you use the home version. If not, apply the steps cazoza stated.

You can also use boot time scanner for full scan, and you can choose the automatic action from the advanced options.

LaRe

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »
Thank both of you. I thought there was an option that let me do it with the quick analysis but i have just arrived home and it didnt work. I think i am gonna try the pro version and do as cazoza told me

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »
These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there). Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system.

- There was one suggestion to place something like the eicar virus test file at the start of the first drive to be scanned in a file like ~a-eicar.com that should soon be detected and you can do the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. So you should have a list of files waiting your action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cazoza

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 06:10:05 PM »
Well, that's true, the steps i provided to you are just available in PRO version, sorry about that  :P, i should asked. Well, you could try the other steps, and also the ones i provided.

Hope you can fix your machine, take care pal!  :D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »
I have an EICAR file placed in the C drive, it is detected within the first minute of scanning. (Not that I run scans often.)
The workaround is satisfactory.
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
You will probably have to pause the webshield to download it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.