Author Topic: ashwebsv.exe stays connected to websites after browser is closed?  (Read 13043 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: ashwebsv.exe stays connected to websites after browser is closed?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 07:27:25 AM »
I have downloaded and installed diamondcs port explorer on my system as part of trying to assist you.  Though there are free products that are its equal I have no reason to believe that it is mis-reporting any information.

I personally prefer a free product "Current Ports".
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:30:04 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 07:37:04 AM »
While not wanting to appear rude this was your first post...

I noticed on my port explorer, after I close my firefox browser.  ashwebsv.exe will stay connected until I actually go into webshield, terminate it and then restart it again.

I tested this a few times.  Went to some websites, closed firefox and let it sit for over 24hrs. and ashwebsv.exe stayed connected to the sites the entire time.  Any ideas on what is going on??

This differs somewhat from you most recent comment.

There are some instances where ashwebsv.exe does work correctly and others where it does not.

The first seemed to suggest a consistent action by avast ... your most recent suggests a ... maybe it does ... maybe it does not ... effect.

Where do you think it really appears to you?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:46:49 AM by alanrf »

billman1037

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 07:47:51 AM »
not taken rude..no problem

My statements don't really conflict.  They were and are some instances where ashwebsv.exe stays connected even after closing firefox...and some where it does work properly.

I don't want to seem rude either...but I can't go out to every website and list if ashwebsv.exe stays connected or not after closing firefox.

I am simply just bringing it to the attention of the makers of avast that I have experienced a problem. 

Like I said before you can see "the proof in the pudding" from my logs.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 08:40:01 AM »
Well ... again for a quotation "two swallows do not a summer make" and just two logs is what we have seen.

I think that, rather than muddy the waters of this thread I should start a new thread to discuss some of my thoughts about what may, in part, be happening here with Firefox and that may have contributed to the the issues in this tread and in a number of others that have preceded it.  I hope that those thoughts may help my fellow toilers in assisting others in this forum.   However, I will say that I do not have a comprehensive answer to the the issues raised here but that they are certainly not the "simple" issue referred to by Vlk. 

Nevertheless, I cannot find a logical path that will allow me to believe that, after the chosen browser (in this case Firefox) has finally been unloaded from memory, avast will maintain any connection initiated on behalf of the browser.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:57:26 AM by alanrf »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »
Hi,

thanks for the report. I will try to investigate this issue more thoroughly.

What I want to say now is, that the connections are definitely NOT in the LISTENING state. This is pure nonsense. Most probably your port monitoring tool is not working properly.

The connection either has some relationship with remote IP address, then it is connected (ESTABLISHED) in the process of connecting or in the process of closing (FIN_WAIT, CLOSE_WAIT, TIME_WAIT, etc.).

Or the connections is closed, without any relationship with remote peers, then it might be in a LISTENING state, waiting for now connection to be created on the port it is listening at. (also referred to as "opened port") THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE.

WebShield surely listens on TCP port 12080, so that it can accept connections. It does that during startup and only listens on localhost:12080. During the lifetime of the connection, it does not change from ordinary connection, to the unconnected listening port - it is not even a supported operation, to listen on connected sockets.

I am not saying, that you don't have the connections opened, but they are not in the LISTENING state. It would be somewhat interresting to know what is their actual state. I suggest trying some other utility, either excellent "TcpView" from Microsoft (now), or the "Current Ports" app alanrf has mentioned, which I saw many people here using.

Thanks.
Lukas
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:06:13 AM by lukor »

YoKenny

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 01:17:20 PM »
If you are using firefox I would suggest that you use adblock plus and NoScript as that kills the likes of doubleclick.net stone dead.

The use of a HOSTS file kills the likes of doubleclick.net stone dead for all browsers. 8)

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »
But I don't have to maintain/update the HOSTS file whilst using adblock plus, I appreciate the HOSTS files works with all browsers, but I won't touch IE if I can avoid it. But our personal opinions on the HOSTS file doesn't help the OP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »
Hi, blocking umwanted sites via HOSTS file, No-Scirpt or other means is somewhat different topic. Please don't hijack this thread  :P

YoKenny

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 04:07:05 PM »
The HOSTS file is totally independent of IE :P

It is easy to keep updated with HostsMan:
http://www.abelhadigital.com <== I use 3.2.70 Beta6 without problems on my systems.
In HostsMan go to Hosts then Check for updates.

The proxy in HostsServer assists in speeding up the browser.
Start HostsServer then Start Server then go to Preferences then Enable log and Log referrer to keep a log of what is being blocked by the HOSTS file.

I also use hpHosts HOSTS file as well:
http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download

Please move this discussion into its own thread.

billman1037

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

I have used hosts file before but really it isn't just doubleclick that is causing this.  It's various other ips.  Problem is that it is kinda of involved to go hopping around the internet picking out specific ip's that are causing ashwebsv.exe to hang on them.  I will try to produce more logs if needed.

My problem is in the 5years that I have used port explorer.  I have never had a problem like this.  I have used and tested many/various programs including AVG and none gave me this problem.  So, it is not normal behavior (at least on my pc). 

I really don't care if it is listening or not.  The main point is why is it not closing?

billman1037

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 07:35:25 AM »
Ok..I thought some screen captures might explain the problem a little better.

#1 Here is ashwebsv.exe running normally before starting Firefox
#2 Here is ashwebsv.exe running conjointly with Firefox
#3 Here is ashwebsv.exe (normal behavior) after closing Firefox
#4 Here is ashwebsv.exe with the Problem (ashwebsv.exe will not close). It will stay in that state until I terminate webshield and start it again.  Then it will go to #1.

billman1037

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 07:39:12 AM »
sigh  :(...for some reason the slider bar only works on the last pic.  To see the full pics you will have open the attachment.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »
The slider works for 'all' opened images, it is just that it appears at the bottom of the 4 images.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 07:33:04 AM »
I must still insist that the connection is not in the listening state!

Do you use any personal firewall? Which one? Thanks.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 08:23:36 AM »
Lukas,

if you go back to rely #9 in this thread I think you will see indication the OP uses Zone Alarm (vsmon.exe).  Since I use only the default XP firewall (behind a router - though I doubt it is an issue) this may explain my inability to reproduce the condition reported by the OP.

It may help if the poster were to check if there were any difference in results with the avast Webshield terminated; by this I mean a thorough test of the connections from start to end without the Webshield activated.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:52:45 AM by alanrf »