Author Topic: about:blank - anyone have info?  (Read 5425 times)

stones72

about:blank - anyone have info?
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:43:56 PM »
avast is not finding about:blank but it is on my computer.  Am I missing something?  Or should I just be emailing tech support?  Thanks for any help.

Jtaylor83

Re: about:blank - anyone have info?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:56:09 PM »
About:blank shows nothing but a blank page. It's also another generic name for variants of CoolWebSearch.

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
Does this happen, by chance, when you open a new tab in IE  ???

I've seen it happen on those rare occasions that I use IE instead of my default browser which is Firefox...

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »

Welcome to the forums, stones72.   :)

Can you tell us exactly where "about:blank" is found on your computer?  (the complete location)

stones72

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
Thank you for the replies so far.  When I open a new tab in IE, I see it.  I had it on my work computer a few years ago, and it had slowed down my system until the IT guys were able to remove it.  But I don't have an IT dept at home!  My computer just keeps running slower and slower... I have avast, and I installed ad-aware... thank you for any help!!

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:43:31 AM »

I do not think Adaware will help much. Try downloading, then updating, and running malwarebytes antimalware from the link below.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Please let us know the results.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »
Like CharleyO, I suggest you use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
The best things in life are free.

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »
By all means scan with MBAM, SAS and SpywareTerminator but I would also Google "about:blank" (without the quotes)...  There are a number of sites listed that will provide you a means to stop this...