Author Topic: Wanted: 2 antivirus.. [Is it safe..?]  (Read 5483 times)

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Wanted: 2 antivirus.. [Is it safe..?]
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:32:56 PM »
I already have an antivirus but to be more secured.. I'm planning on installing another antivirus.. Would my computer be harmed if I have 2 antiviruses installed..? ???

If its safe.. Will you please cite some good combinations of antiviruses..? (like avast! & Nod32)
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Wanted: 2 antivirus.. [Is it safe..?]
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:18 PM »
Anti-Virus programs take up an enormous amount of your computer's resources when they are actively scanning your computer. Having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can cause your computer to run very slow, become unstable and even, in rare cases, crash.

If you choose to install more than one Anti-Virus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

There are basically two types of these programs:
On-Access and On-Demand

On-Access Scanners
As the name implies, are scanners that run in the background all the time the PC is turned on and running.  The main function of an On-Access scanner is to monitor activity on your machine.

On-Demand Scanners
As the name implies, are scanners that only run when you ask them to.
Such as:
Online Scans and scanners that run on your machine but are not actively scanning your machine

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 01:34:38 PM »
I already have an antivirus but to be more secured.. I'm planning on installing another antivirus.. Would my computer be harmed if I have 2 antiviruses installed..? ???

If its safe.. Will you please cite some good combinations of antiviruses..? (like avast! & Nod32)

Stay with 1 antivirus program, and add an firewall instead. And you could also install a good antispyware program like SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

mevcit

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
You can use G DATA 2009 which uses Avast and BitDefender engines, so you will be protected actively with two antivirus signatures; or another software that uses two or more engines. Otherwise, two on-access antivirus will conflict together. But you can use an on-access and an on-demand antivirus combination like Avast (on-access) + Antivir (on-demand).

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »
Thank you^^

All those info are really helpful.. ;D
avast! 9 RC1

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »
You can use G DATA 2009 which uses Avast and BitDefender engines, so you will be protected actively with two antivirus signatures; or another software that uses two or more engines. Otherwise, two on-access antivirus will conflict together. But you can use an on-access and an on-demand antivirus combination like Avast (on-access) + Antivir (on-demand).

Don't use Avira Antivir for on-demand with avast! for on-access as they will conflict!

For an on-demand antivirus to use along with avast! on-access you can use BitDefender 10 Free Edition or ClamWin Free.  Or you can use ESET Online Scanner (NOD32).

I use ClamWin Free & ESET Online Scanner.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »
-= ESET Online..? I'll give it a try.. Right now.. These are what i use:
   Avast Pro
   Kaspersky Online Scan
   Malwarebytes Antimalware
avast! 9 RC1

mevcit

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »

Don't use Avira Antivir for on-demand with avast! for on-access as they will conflict!
When i used that combination, i didn't have any trouble on my system.  So i don't think they will conflict. Also many people use them together.