Author Topic: Urgent: How to _completely_ uninstall avast! Mac Edition?  (Read 24123 times)

AttiSun

Urgent: How to _completely_ uninstall avast! Mac Edition?
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:36:12 PM »
Hello,

I have used the avast! PC Home Edition before - respect - this is a good anti virus program.

My problem with the avast! Mac Edition trial is, that I am not aware how to completely remove all components of avast! Mac Edition. The installer does not list the directories and files. I want to uninstall any Frameworks and or demons.

While I like the program, it takes to much processing power away from my machine and I also have a problem with Apple Mail app.

You help to point out which files other than the app itself need to be deleted would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Urgent: How to _completely_ uninstall avast! Mac Edition?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »
Hello,

I have used the avast! PC Home Edition before - respect - this is a good anti virus program.

My problem with the avast! Mac Edition trial is, that I am not aware how to completely remove all components of avast! Mac Edition. The installer does not list the directories and files. I want to uninstall any Frameworks and or demons.

While I like the program, it takes to much processing power away from my machine and I also have a problem with Apple Mail app.

You help to point out which files other than the app itself need to be deleted would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

hallo,
all these problems were already discussed in this forum, just in a nutshell:
- uninstall: uncheck persistency in preferences, quit both avast/daemon from menubar, the put the app simply to the trashcan
(one might also delete ~/Library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast folder and avast pkg backup in /Library)- this is nearly complete cleanup
- mail autostart: ctrl-click in finder over avast.app, go to contents/resources, and get rid of getrulescript.txt (or just rename this file)

just note - you can put the daemon to background (start on-demand scan, and use that "background" button until you are satisfied with the performance), to gain more cpu power - then, in preferences, choose this seeting to be used every time when the daemon starts. that's the trick.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

AttiSun

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:02:11 AM »
Thank you very, very much!  :)

jk55

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »
Hi Zilog,

I have installed the trial version of Avast a while ago, and I would like to uninstall it as nicely as possible. I appreciate the procedure that you are documenting in your post, but I can't apply it. The 'preferences...' option in the avast menu is grey'd out/inactive.

What should I do?

Cheers!

Mac OS X 10.6.3

Avast Mac Edition Version 2.74R0 (Service Kit 1.41)

quecentric

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
Hi Zilog,

Are you logged in as a computer administrator? If not, log out or fast user switch to an admin user account on the machine.

The Preferences option should then be active in the menu.

sonicbath

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:44:18 PM »
I used CleanApp to uninstall Avast 5.  It rooted out all the hidden files quite well.

*******This program should really come with a uninstaller*******

I personally refuse to use any program of this type which doesn't come with an uninstaller in the package.  There really is no excuse aside from laziness.  Even FREE antivirus programs come with one.   :o  If one is included in the future I will try it again.   ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:48:17 PM »
Edited (wrong forum). Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:42:26 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
I used CleanApp to uninstall Avast 5.  It rooted out all the hidden files quite well.
You did wrong...

*******This program should really come with a uninstaller*******
It should be uninstalled by Control Panel and if it fails with the uninstaller: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

verasion 3.07 comes with uninstaller - see its menu bar. But anyway, it's easy to uninstall any application on MacOS X - just delete it from preferences (thanks to the package-concept).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)