Author Topic: How to disable Avast home edition's get you started pop-up  (Read 2274 times)

vineethmohan

How to disable Avast home edition's get you started pop-up
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:31:23 AM »
My Avast home edition shows a pop-up screen every time I load the simple user interface which gives five points to get started. There is a check box at the end which says "Don't show this window next time". There is a picture place holder below which has no image but one red "X" mark. When I check the "Don't show this window next time" box, it gives a java script error as follows (image quality reduced to save bandwidth).

No matter what option I select from this window, the five points pop-up screen comes when I start Avast again which is very annoying. I think this is due to a script error on this page but how should I resolve this?

spg SCOTT

Re: How to disable Avast home edition's get you started pop-up
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »
Hi vineethmohan,

Do you mean the image attached?

I have no trouble viewing this, so I would assume that the installation has been messed up.

Can you try a repair of Avast?
Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs -->avast antivirus --> click remove --> scroll down and click repair

-------
As a workaround, if this doesn't work, you could disable it in the avast4.ini file:

Navigate to: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini

You will need to find this:

[Simple]
ShowHelpCheckList=1

Change it to 1, like above and close notepad. You will be prompted to save, and also prompted by the self-defense module if you did this. Say yes to both and then try to open the simple user interface.

-Scott-

EDIT:Image....::)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:28:03 PM by spg SCOTT »