Author Topic: Through Scan doesn't scan whole drive?  (Read 3445 times)

Nicqi

Through Scan doesn't scan whole drive?
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:49:02 AM »
(using windows XP and Avast free edition 4.8

Dear Avast forum users;

I am a relative (few months newbie) to avast and have only just noticed a few things that no matter how much i read the help files and the FAQ here and google I can't seem to understand what is or isn't happening and i was wondering if someone here would be able to enlighten me as to what I maybe doing wrong please.

When i change the Local Drive scan to "Through scan" at the end it says it has scanned 9.5 gigs of my local drive

when i scan with ARCHIVE checked and then do a second scan it says at the end it has scanned 11.1 gigs of my drive  ( this older laptop is a 20 gig drive)  I do not understand why it does not scan all of the 20 gig drive or what parts the 2 scans are or are not scanning or what's being missed. Any help with any settings or things i could be doing wrong or misunderstanding would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for your patience with my question as i know it must seem a bit silly but no matter how much i read and scan I can not understand what i could be doing wrong here.
thank you again.  :)

p.s
the other question which is probably even sillier but i do not seem to be able to get to to learn more about is the packers area it says i have to be on advanced and the directions it gives at the avast
 F1 Help section the words "Task Configuration Pages  " so i can try to understand how to better use and learn the settings better when i click on 'packers' it says
This page allows you to set which packers (archives) avast! will test during the task processing. The default setting is self-extracting executables only. You can set additional archives to be processed, though it will slow down the test, of course. When All packers options is checked, avast! will scan all archives it is able to process

I am trying hard to understand this as well but i can't find the advanced setting either to know if perhaps i should have something in there ticked. This is not as important as my first question but any help with that would also be appreciated and once again thank you for your patience. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Through Scan doesn't scan whole drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »
If you don't have 20GB of data on the 20GB HDD avast can't scan what isn't there it scans files, not blank space, e.g. free space on your HDD.

If you right click on the C: drive (windows explorer), select properties, that will tell you how much data is on your system and how much free space you have.

The help file also caters for the Pro version also, these functions aren't available in the fre Home version. The Enhanced User Interface is only available in the Pro version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nicqi

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:24 AM »
Dear David R

Thank you for your reply. I did have a look at the used space and it said 14gigs used that's also why I am not sure why it only scanned 11.1 gigs of it in the archived scan and only 9.5 in the through local drive scan. I really appreciate you taking the time the reply to my question as I know it must seem like a bit of a silly question but if i had not have googled and read the dared i would not have dared to ask such embarrasing things. thanks again for answering.

Do you think if i always do an Archive scan insted of a 'Through Local Drive scan" that will be the correct and most efficient way to scan the drive ?I would appreciate your opinion.

(even though I'm not sure where the other few gigs of the 14 are actually do you think maybe that extra 2.9 gigs that isn't being scanned would be xp OS or soemthing perhaps? ) 

and thank you for the information between the difference between Pro and the Home free edition.

thanks again for your time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:42:10 AM »
I don't know why, the discrepancy, some files might have been excluded and one of those is likely to be the swap/pagefile which could be quite large.

Thorough is also by its design very thorough (it scans all files) and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

Remember the on-demand scan is just one function of avast the resident scanners would scan files as they are accessed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nicqi

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 01:50:20 AM »
Once again thank you for your time to reply :)  I understand a bit better now that you have explained that. so i will just from now on use the normal scan for the 9.5 part. I only did the archive as i didn't understand why some things hadnt shown up. the archive scan came up with 3 things 2 in warnings and one in a system restore from an  email which never told me there was a virus ( i mean by that i never got the grey 'you have a virus what do you want to do ' screen so that surprised me and lead me to start re reading all of this believing i have some settings wrong. so  i appreciate your patience explaining it to me.
I cleaned all of that needless to say and it did do a boot scan when i installed it so that 's why i was confused as to why those things showed up but never let me know when it happened like it does when something suspisious usually does. i will just do as you say from now on and not worry about the archives and just do the normal scan.

thanks again for the replies it's appreciated.:)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:58:55 AM »
The selection of archives would also discover things that migh have lain dormant from before avast was installed.

Normally old emails can be detected in email folders, which aren't in fact a folder but a database file containing multiple emails. So you have to exercise extreme care if detections are discovered in old emails or you could lose all the emails in that file.

The boot-time scan doesn't scan absolutely everything (unless you specify more) on your HDD, primarily it is those files that are more prone to infection.

Nicqi

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:06:22 AM »
Yes that is a good point as i suppose if a virus was in a DBX file and i deleted it, it would take the whole file out. Thanks for the heads up on that one. As that would be a horrible thing to mistakenly do.

once again thanks for your replies I am starting to now understand more about the program and what it can and can't do as well with this addition due to your responses. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 02:52:06 AM »
You're welcome.

All AVs can have a problem trying to extract a file from an email database file, whilst avast does seem to be able to do it with .dbx files, but there is still an element of risk involved. If something is detected in there try to gather as much information as you can from the alert and try to find the infected email manually and delete it, clearing the deleted emails folder also. Follow this up by compacting the email folders.