Author Topic: support.avast.com <--- page error  (Read 21447 times)

sunrisecc

Re: support.avast.com <--- page error
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »
I agree it is not browser dependent.
Computer #1 - Vista using Windows firewall, Defender and no anti-malware running. Both IE7 and FF3 react the same.
Computer #2 - XP Pro using Windows firewall, Defender and no anti-malware running, both IE7 and FF3 react the same.
Computer #3 - XP Pro using Windows firewall, Defender and no anti-malware running, both IE7 and Chrome react the same.

I believe it is a server problem or backbone network problem.
I thought it was a cookie-based problem once. However the browsers use different cookie sets. I have even deleted the cookies to no avail.

I repeat, yesterday I was able to get to the home page of support.avast.com but the blank page happened after I attempted to login. Today i cannot get the home page to display.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »
What happens if you open a cmd window and ping support.avast.com, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sunrisecc

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 04:17:20 PM »
Here is a traceroute:

YoKenny

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »
Seymour, I wonder if it has to do with not having the Fee version of avast!?
When the site worked for me, I was able to register and am currently a registered member of the site. Most of my customers have the paid version; only the home user generally does not.

There are periods of time when I am able to get in with no problem. Today is not one of those times. I have never been able to figure it out as yet.

Are you on Rogers or Sympatico?

Sympatico.

I do not remember ever ever being able to view the site but I am only registered here. 

sunrisecc

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
I am on Rogers. Hence it is not ISP dependent. I did not think so as others in different parts of the world run into the same difficulty.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 08:33:40 PM »
I do not remember ever ever being able to view the site but I am only registered here. 

You don't have to be registered to view the site, you only need to register if you wish to enter a support ticket, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »

You don't have to be registered to view the site, you only need to register if you wish to enter a support ticket, etc.
I do not see the Register button. 
Just a blank page.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »
Which is why I posted the image, to show that you actually don't have to register, so it isn't that (not being registered) which is blocking you.

sunrisecc

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 09:09:56 PM »
I have made progress.
I went through all my IE7 cookies (2 locations in Vista) and removed all the ones that had avast.com.
I was then able to view the start page and others.
I then checked the cookies again and only one was created for support.avast.com
I went back  to the site and was even able to login successfully. I selected 'remember me', surfed the site and then logged out.
I restarted IE7 and drew a blank page again.
I deleted the support.avast cookie and then was able to view the site.
At least I have a work-around.
The work-around is to delete all support.avast.com cookies. I will only login when required.
I hope this helps.

sunrisecc

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2009, 09:13:31 PM »
BTW, the program I used to view and delete only selected cookie(s) is Karen's Cookie Viewer (freeware).

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptcookie.asp

sunrisecc

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2009, 09:42:20 PM »
Now even FF works.

YoKenny

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2009, 04:01:02 AM »
I can confirm that removing the support.avast.com cookie works for me.

I deleted the cookie that I had saved with CCleaner and verified that it was gone by looking at stored cookies  with WinPatrol.

sunrisecc

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:33 AM »
I suspect that the server is not updating the cookie correctly (depending on what one does) at the support site. At least we have a work-around.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2009, 04:45:09 AM »
FWIW ...

I did some playing around with FF settings today and contacting this site and I just cannot make it fail. 

If anyone has any suggestions on how to replicate the problem I'll be happy to give them a try. 

sunrisecc

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2009, 04:57:13 AM »
It appears the problem only generates itself when IE7 is used. Using FF exclusively does not put/touch the IE7 cookie.

I can usually generate the problem by logging in to support.avast.com, select 'remember me', peruse the site, shut down IE7, restart IE7 and try to get back to the site. It doesn't always cause the problem but I am able to cause the problem often this way.