Author Topic: Avast for Mac crashing  (Read 6084 times)

rhstoddard09

Avast for Mac crashing
« on: February 23, 2009, 12:26:14 PM »
I'm using Avast for Mac 2.74RO (Service Kit 1.41) on a MacBook running OSX 10.5.6. Recently Avast has crashed twice. I have it set to scan several folders (usernames and applications) by default. Recently it started scans and seemed to be trying to scan everything, including external hard drives (which I occasionally do manually). The file count will climb into the many millions, it will give an error message that it was unable to scan one of the external drives, and then it will quit. This has been happening only recently, and I don't know if it started after an Avast update or the update to 10.5.6 (or if either of them is the culprit). Anyone else having this problem? Any advice?  Thanks.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Avast for Mac crashing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »
I'm using Avast for Mac 2.74RO (Service Kit 1.41) on a MacBook running OSX 10.5.6. Recently Avast has crashed twice. I have it set to scan several folders (usernames and applications) by default. Recently it started scans and seemed to be trying to scan everything, including external hard drives (which I occasionally do manually). The file count will climb into the many millions, it will give an error message that it was unable to scan one of the external drives, and then it will quit. This has been happening only recently, and I don't know if it started after an Avast update or the update to 10.5.6 (or if either of them is the culprit). Anyone else having this problem? Any advice?  Thanks.

Hallo,
the very first engine could crash under some circumstances. Let's try any later one (sticky post in this forum) - preferably the release candidate for next version (which is in alpha-state on my desk, and will be tested against snow leopard preview).

The release candidate is (at least as far as i know) 100% stable, no crashing was reported/encountered.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

rhstoddard09

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
I'll wait for the new version, but haven't had any problems with this one until very recently. I still have no idea why/how it launches on such extensive scans when I've set preferences to a more select group of folders. Again, I've never had this problem with Avast before, having used it on my Mac for 18 months or more (and for a couple of years before that on Windows).

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »
I'll wait for the new version, but haven't had any problems with this one until very recently. I still have no idea why/how it launches on such extensive scans when I've set preferences to a more select group of folders. Again, I've never had this problem with Avast before, having used it on my Mac for 18 months or more (and for a couple of years before that on Windows).

Hallo,
yes, but anyway, the new engine has many improvements, and the engine-switch can be easily reverted back. It's worth of try for you (faster/better scan, new unpackers, bugfixes) and also for us (reports and feedback). :).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)