Author Topic: Cannot get avast to work right!!!!  (Read 9495 times)

auh

Cannot get avast to work right!!!!
« on: February 12, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum because I'm having some trouble getting avast to work.  Everytime I run the application I get an error saying, "Engine cannot launch.  The virus scanner engine cannot launch: try please to re-install the application, or consult the support."

I've reinstalled the application about 10 times now with no luck at all.

Help please!!!!

Thanks,
Adam

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Cannot get avast to work right!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »
What is your operating system?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

auh

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
OSX 10.5.6

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
OK. You could change your subject line to reflect that- might get noticed sooner, and by the right people- I'm a Linux user.

EDIT: Typo.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:35:50 AM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum because I'm having some trouble getting avast to work.  Everytime I run the application I get an error saying, "Engine cannot launch.  The virus scanner engine cannot launch: try please to re-install the application, or consult the support."

I've reinstalled the application about 10 times now with no luck at all.

Help please!!!!

Thanks,
Adam

Hallo, this is well-known flaw, affecting few users where the linking step fails in the installer. Solution was mentioned many times here - just locate the 400.vps file (/Applications/avast!.app/<ctrl-click-show-package-contents>/Contents/Resources), and copy it to your home directory (to Library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast/). Done.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

kplindstrom

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »
In the last 24 hours I've tried to successfully download and install avast! for mac  OS X Version 10.5.6 that I bought, but nothing seems to work.  It seems to be installing the software but it doesn't, and there's nothing to open, that is no "About avast!" page or place to log in the license key. We tried a trial download first from Apple, and it did a trial run, but that can't be deleted for some reason. I suspect that this version is corrupted, but don't know how to get the un-corrupted software.  ???

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 04:38:12 AM »
In the last 24 hours I've tried to successfully download and install avast! for mac  OS X Version 10.5.6 that I bought, but nothing seems to work.  It seems to be installing the software but it doesn't, and there's nothing to open, that is no "About avast!" page or place to log in the license key. We tried a trial download first from Apple, and it did a trial run, but that can't be deleted for some reason. I suspect that this version is corrupted, but don't know how to get the un-corrupted software.  ???

uncheck "Launch at startup as a persistent application" in the preferences and you should then be able to quit the program and delete it.

Avast For Mac does not use a License Key. There is a License.dat file that you will receive after purchasing the program (Avast for Mac is not Free)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 05:23:36 PM »

hallo,
looks like your system is slightly (or more) corrupted. the installer just does some housekeeping around, but basically, it's about placing compressed files to desired location in /Applications. Thus, it's time to have a look whetheer those files are there (avast!.app), and what's inside.

Btw. you're the first user who reports similar problem - this behavior was never seen before.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)