Author Topic: avast! 4.8 Home Edition & AVG Free  (Read 8051 times)

Jønne

avast! 4.8 Home Edition & AVG Free
« on: February 14, 2009, 06:01:37 AM »
 ;)

Good Saturday - And Happy Valentines Day...

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forside
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skt._Valentin

(From the Danish version of Wikipedia).

Well - I do not want to start a "battle" of who is best:
avast! or AVG.

I think avast!
But my wife like AVG the best...

What about you?

Did you use AVG before you chose avast?

8)

Somehow I think it is interesting that those two famous anti-virus product bout have their Home in The Check Republic ...

Best Wishes to you from Jønne in Denmark

Jønne

Re: avast! 4.8 Home Edition & AVG Free
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »
 ???

P.S
How do I change the Forum clock?

It is 04:02:17 in Forum, and in Denmark it is 06:02:17, right now...

Jønne

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:22:08 AM »
Whatever anti virus application you use is worthless unless it provides timely updates and the user insures that the updates are installed.

I switched to avast! because of the incessant reminders to update to the bloated 8.0 version and the very unfriendly forum. 

You can change the displayed forum clock in your Profile but you have to have at least 20 posts before that option is enabled I believe.

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:25:47 AM »
What about you?

Did you use AVG before you chose avast?

Hi Jonne (I apologize, U.S. keyboard. :))

I used AVG 7.5 for a while, and liked it quite a bit, not counting any virus detection and removal capabilities. The look and feel was good for me and the toolbar icons and effects (e-mail scanner in particular) were very nice. :)

May God Bless you and your wife! :)

Jønne

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 06:42:11 AM »
 :)
Hey YoKenny & ardvark, and thanks for your quick reply...

I better post again - so I soon can change the clock...

(Well, it is not so important, but still ... more correct, after all)

Greetings Jønne

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
:)
Hey YoKenny & ardvark, and thanks for your quick reply...

You're welcome. :)

Best Regards...

gery

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
I have a licence for avg pro and don't use it because it will not protect in real time against rootkits while avast free does. avg is going downhill
avg free 7.x was a better option and i used it for a long time with succes but no more avg for me

ilker

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:53:09 AM »
I would choose avast! because it is the best free antivirus program and it protects you from every threats. But AVG free is very limited about protecting. I also had bad experience with AVG pro. My pc was infected and even i knew where the infections were but AVG only detected 3 trojan ! I couldnt believe in my eyes. Then i tried avast! and it found adware , trojans and spyware. Then i understood how good this program is. I want to give my thanks again from here to Alwil Company . They do great job and they protect over 70 million people ! God bless them  :)

mevcit

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »
The resident protection of AVG isn't that good. This is the very first reason why you shouldn't use it.

Hey ilker, where are you from? I think i know you. :)

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 03:36:28 PM »
I used AVG up through version 7.5 which is why I'm now an Avast! devotee... :)

YoKenny hit all the points I'd have made especially the forum if you get stuck with 'rdsok'... :(

bobo1

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »
AVG Free v7.5 was rubbish its shield let through some viruses while browsing the web and caused xp to shut down. Since this had to reformat hard drive and reinstall xp. Been using avast free for about 2 years with out any problems at all. Its GREAT! :).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
I got off the AVG ship many years ago (almost 5 now) because of the poor update function amongst other things (that doesn't seem to have changed). I switched to avast (found a couple of undetected viruses/malware) and haven't considered looking back.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »
I got off the AVG ship many years ago (almost 5 now) because of the poor update function amongst other things (that doesn't seem to have changed). I switched to avast (found a couple of undetected viruses/malware) and haven't considered looking back.
I totally second that DavidR!!! ;D There is no comparison AVAST is superior in providing definition updates with its server never clugged and with better resident protection and higher detection grade. I chose AVAST over AVG about 12 years ago and I'm happy with it. ;)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 05:01:43 PM »
I never used AVG because his product was too decent and not good shield. I use Avast because of his detection rate was not bad and shield was very good and interface.....etc

antonpaco

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »
on the net there is a big fight started  many years ago about the best free antivirus, many sites say AVAST, many sites AVG,, many say AVIRA,  is like real madrid, manchester and milan, all  are very good teams, but who is the best? people use avast will say is the best, same  for people use avg, same for avira, use the one you like and do not think if you are right o wrong, the best antivirus is the person sit on the pc.