Author Topic: avast! blocks avast Chinese user forum  (Read 5945 times)

leomin

avast! blocks avast Chinese user forum
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:48:31 AM »
it's here: hxxp://www.avast1.cn (just change hxxp to http)
maybe it looks somehow like a fishing website -,-     but in fact it's a forum for a huge amount of chinese users and has helped a lot with introducing avast! home to users in China. It's a forum just like forum.avast.com, but in Chinese. Now it is blocked by the avast! URL blocker, it looks so funny and wired~...
if there is someone in avast! team who can read chinese, please try checking it out. People who built that forum are now astonished and a little bit sad~...
hope it'll be fixed if it is a bug~

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 07:45:16 AM by leomin »

CharleyO

Re: avast! blocks avast Chinese user forum
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:09:10 AM »

The images below show some of the reasons why avast might block the site.

There were a couple more but I did not catch them.

leomin

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
avast! in my system just directly blocks the address  :(
maybe the URL blocker works differently in different regions??

13.02.2009  13:14:37  Network Shield: blocked access to malicious site www.avast1.cn/ [ C:\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe ( 5452 ) ]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:31:19 AM by leomin »

solcroft

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:34:56 AM »
The images below show some of the reasons why avast might block the site.

What reasons?

You're just showing the FPs the thread starter posted about.

kubecj

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »
Removed from block. Got there while putting fraud domains into the block, also had malware downloads - don't know if they're legitimate binaries with FPs or cracks or whatnot. Definitely not a good idea to have such stuff on legal site.

solcroft

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »
Removed from block. Got there while putting fraud domains into the block, also had malware downloads - don't know if they're legitimate binaries with FPs or cracks or whatnot. Definitely not a good idea to have such stuff on legal site.
China, among others, is essentially crackomania country. If avast! was determined to block websites with any hints of cracks or serials on them, you guys would probably black out half the country's internet.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
China, among others, is essentially crackomania country. If avast! was determined to block websites with any hints of cracks or serials on them, you guys would probably black out half the country's internet.

Not sure what is being suggested here by solcroft.

That avast should not block
websites with any hints of cracks or serials on them
or that avast should have a different policy for China (and undefined others) relative to websites in say Europe, Australasia or the Americas?

kubecj

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:06:06 AM »

Regarding to the current state of urlblocker's database it already looks like I already blocked half the country.  ;D ;D ;D (Joking)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:07:44 AM by kubecj »

solcroft

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »

or that avast should have a different policy for China (and undefined others) relative to websites in say Europe, Australasia or the Americas?

Preferably the former. If not, the latter would have to suffice.

leomin

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
already removed from the block list? with a domain that maight be quite suspicious for you, it has so far however been a forum for many avast users, whether it is in these days with harmful stuff relies on your research :)
it'll always be good for us for you to get more knowledgable about the internet in China~
but at least avast has a chinese version, in that sense~~ already good~

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 03:47:45 PM »

Preferably the former. If not, the latter would have to suffice.

I can only speak for myself but I think I understand solcroft's point.

(I'm not really happy with this analogy but it's the best I've come up with in a hurry.)
If you were to live in a 24-hour disco, and didn't want to lose your hearing:
a/. you could install a device that would physically remove you from the building every time the possibility of a dangerous noise level was detected, or
b/. you could wear earplugs to stop the damage to your ears.

While I personally like the way avast! Web Shield aims to stop malware from a website getting anywhere near my PCs, many security programs aimed at the Chinese market have traditionally concentrated more on stopping malware (particularly trojans) at the point of activation rather than the point of entry, because they recognize that for Chinese users, the web, like the disco, is a pervasively "noisy" place.

Disconnecting you from every potential source of infection is a fine idea, but if it were to effectively stop you going anywhere on the web....
Dealing with the actual infection when/if it happens is inherently more risky, but at least you can still browse.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

leomin

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »
Hmmm....in fact, the websites in China are not soooo dangerous as you think... though maybe a little bit more problemartic than those in Europe or America
by me personally as example, the Network- & Webshield alerts show up averagely just 1~2 times/month~

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 05:36:03 AM »
You're right leomin. I was using an extreme comparison to illustrate the point. Also, I defer to your greater knowledge and experience in these matters. When I'm on a Chinese site I'm quickly looking for the "English" button!
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

skysecret

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 05:52:55 AM »
i havn't found any problem from the avast1 forum.

Hi compatriot! Are you set proxy server ?

avast will be block web page if you don't set it when use some browser .

eg ,the world

PS:
kafan bbs is a all-aroud safe softwares forum in CHINA

The problem had been solved. The forum drawing pattern had exited problem cause avast alarm
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:07:05 AM by skysecret »